No announcement yet.

China Makes A Java Version Of Core LLVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see the exercise in rewriting the code in another language to be an acceptable very beginner-ish exercise. The end product will be of absolutely no value though.

The way I read this, is that, at least when I went through it, comp sci degrees tend to start off with Java. Hence java becomes the "most familiar" language for a lot of students. That doesn't make it actually a good language, or even remotely suitable for high performance computing needs.

What this really is, is a BEGINNERS C++ course with a major project being to *read and understand* the C++ code through translating it into Java.

Might be a fun learning exercise.
    This is not news.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
      Oh. Why don't they just use Scala?
      Yeah, Scala is ok enough

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
        It's not about not understanding LLVM in C++, it's about using it in Java projects, which is more difficult if it's C++ code.
        Yes, I agree

Comment

They actually made something? Oh it's younglings - ahhhh . Soon they will grow up and be stealing our technology, counterfeiting our goods, pirating or music, movies and software and stealing our trade.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            I can see the exercise in rewriting the code in another language to be an acceptable very beginner-ish exercise. The end product will be of absolutely no value though.

The way I read this, is that, at least when I went through it, comp sci degrees tend to start off with Java. Hence java becomes the "most familiar" language for a lot of students. That doesn't make it actually a good language, or even remotely suitable for high performance computing needs.

What this really is, is a BEGINNERS C++ course with a major project being to *read and understand* the C++ code through translating it into Java.

Might be a fun learning exercise.
            This is not news.
            Yeah, thats what I'm seeing.

Really, the main reason why C/C++ isn't being taught anymore is because is HARD. Its not a fun language to teach the basics in. [I actually recommend people learn an easier syntax, like Pascal or even Algol 68 first].

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
              Never tell a developer that their pet project is a waste of talent. If it wasn't valuable to them, they wouldn't be doing it. Many useful things have come from pet projects.
              Yes, I agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                Really, the main reason why C/C++ isn't being taught anymore is because is HARD. Its not a fun language to teach the basics in. [I actually recommend people learn an easier syntax, like Pascal or even Algol 68 first].
                C isn't too difficult to learn because, despite some inconsistencies in its syntax that make working with pointers more complicated than necessary, it is a fairly simple and small language. C++ on the other hand has so many inconsistencies and is so big and complicated that there are maybe one or two people in the world who really know it (and C++'s inventor has professed he is not one of them).

So I agree that teaching students how to work with pointers can better be done with a modern (Object) Pascal implementation (I don't know Algol 68, so difficult to say anything about it). For teaching basic programming, Python or another language with a simple syntax and no boilerplate overhead (so no Java or C#) would be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                  Never tell a developer that their pet project is a waste of talent. If it wasn't valuable to them, they wouldn't be doing it. Many useful things have come from pet projects.
                  Said well!

Comment

Working...
                  X