Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: China Makes A Java Version Of Core LLVM

Default China Makes A Java Version Of Core LLVM

Phoronix: China Makes A Java Version Of Core LLVM

Developers at a university in China have developed their own Java version of LLVM. Their reasoning for re-implementing LLVM is that they prefer Java to the C++ language...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxMDM

Oh. Why don't they just use Scala?

Question

I would have though that if you're working on llvm and you're a student, then you're able to learn C++ and honestly I think that you should...

If they were able to rewrite it in Java, they can't have had that much trouble understanding the C++ version.

It's not about not understanding LLVM in C++, it's about using it in Java projects, which is more difficult if it's C++ code.

It's a student project, peeps. They are there to learn, and reimplementing LLVM is a really good way to understand the concepts behind it.

Let them do it if they feel like it, no harm done.

Default We used ANTLR in my college compiler class as well

It sounds like a cool student project, even if no one is really going to use it. The point is to learn about how compilers work.

Default True no harm done, but damn what a waste of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    It's a student project, peeps. They are there to learn, and reimplementing LLVM is a really good way to understand the concepts behind it.

Let them do it if they feel like it, no harm done.
    Seriously these guys could have put that talent to work on another tool for LLVM, work on another compiler interface or whatever. Instead they target a funky language like Java.

I understand students and learning but it just seems like a total waste of good talent.

I don't think so.

The number of students who effectively work on software of this complexity is very small. Marek & co are exceptions, really.

This way we got a bunch of students who really understand LLVM. Most other students are writing Angry Birds clones, or dreaming about the next big app that stores your aunt's recipes on the cloud, or some similar nonsense.

I don't know if these guys will end up contributing to LLVM or some similar compiler project in the future, but I'm pretty sure that the "Angry Birds clone" guys won't.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    I understand students and learning but it just seems like a total waste of good talent.
    Never tell a developer that their pet project is a waste of talent. If it wasn't valuable to them, they wouldn't be doing it. Many useful things have come from pet projects.