Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau DRM Commits Supporting Z Compression

Phoronix: Nouveau DRM Commits Supporting Z Compression

Ben Skeggs of Red Hat pushed a number of new DRM commits into the Nouveau driver development repository today, including new support for Z compression...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by asdx
    Impressive. Thanks for your hard work, Ben Skeggs.
    YES!...

But still waiting for the anti-open-source jerks coming to do vandalism in this thread ?

What?s wrong with these nvidia-paid idiots ?

These people really act like marionette puppets.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
      YES!...

But still waiting for the anti-open-source jerks coming to do vandalism in this thread ?

What?s wrong with these nvidia-paid idiots ?

These people really act like marionette puppets.
      More like... Disgruntled customers who expected their open source drivers to work on their hardware years ago. Without nVidia's help, there just really isn't enough manpower to do it so these linux users aren't happy. It's not nouveau's fault.

Honestly, I'm giving the Nouveau team the benefit of the doubt and I'll bet their Z compression is a lot faster and is a lot more stable than AMD's Hyper-Z which is still a "work in progress" for hardware going all the way back to the r300g.

I'm running HyperZ (I think? There doesn't seem a way to verify it's enabled), and haven't had any problems with it on r300g, but I've heard of some corner cases where it's unstable so it's not actually "completed" yet and it doesn't look like AMD cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        More like... Disgruntled customers who expected their open source drivers to work on their hardware years ago. Without nVidia's help, there just really isn't enough manpower to do it so these linux users aren't happy.
        really? they get what they paid for!

In my point of view the linux people should stop playing nicely thex should switch to a AGPLv3+ license to fight back these enemy?s of the freedom.

"It's not nouveau's fault."

Sure but they blame them anyway.

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        Honestly, I'm giving the Nouveau team the benefit of the doubt and I'll bet their Z compression is a lot faster and is a lot more stable than AMD's Hyper-Z which is still a "work in progress" for hardware going all the way back to the r300g.
        I'm running HyperZ (I think? There doesn't seem a way to verify it's enabled), and haven't had any problems with it on r300g, but I've heard of some corner cases where it's unstable so it's not actually "completed" yet and it doesn't look like AMD cares.
        true but hyperZ is not so important right now i use a hd3850 with the radeon driver and the shader compiler is the biggest problem in my point of view.

but sure a GTX8800 nvidia can outperform my card with the nouveau driver.

thats because the shader compiler is much simpler for nvidia cards.

Comment

Working...
        X