Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 87

Thread: AMD Catalyst: Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Windows 7

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post

    If you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open drivers - using the closed blobs will not improve anything ....
    The blobs improve MY experience. And that's what matters.

    I don't have to give a flying hoot about other people's experience.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Love the conclusion: Runs faster on Windows, driver based is shared between Windows and Linux.

    Phornoix conclusion: The driver is missing optimizations on Linux
    My conclusion: The Linux Kernel itself is slower then Windows for gaming

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    The blobs improve MY experience. And that's what matters.

    I don't have to give a flying hoot about other people's experience.
    well isnt it abit stupid to use a free system like ubuntu when it gives no performance advantage over windows and there is alot less commercial software available?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    if you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open gpu drivers. If its not good enough for you - make a bug report or attempt to make it better yourself

    If you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open drivers - using the closed blobs will not improve anything ....
    Open Source and Linux are bigger than just graphics drivers and OpenGL. I can support parts of the whole without needing to directly contribute to every piece.

    Would you prefer me to not contribute at all and use Windows/Mac simply because I need the performance and features to the blobs?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    if you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open gpu drivers. If its not good enough for you - make a bug report or attempt to make it better yourself

    If you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open drivers - using the closed blobs will not improve anything ....
    And this mentality is exactly why Linux is ignored by the public at large.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    Open Source and Linux are bigger than just graphics drivers and OpenGL. I can support parts of the whole without needing to directly contribute to every piece.

    Would you prefer me to not contribute at all and use Windows/Mac simply because I need the performance and features to the blobs?
    you can run free software on windows...

    EDIT: I can only repeat again - what software are you using that requires opengl 4.x ? and what software are you using that the r600g driver cannot handle?

    oil rush?
    Last edited by D0pamine; 10-22-2012 at 03:33 PM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    And this mentality is exactly why Linux is ignored by the public at large.

    most of the public are like you - morons and i dont care for so called community members who completely miss the point of free software - so fuck 'em - let them play with windows

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Exactly, only the "privileged" few matter at all.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    you can run free software on windows...

    EDIT: I can only repeat again - what software are you using that requires opengl 4.x ? and what software are you using that the r600g driver cannot handle?

    oil rush?
    First you say the only way to support Open Source is to go Open-Source only, then you advocate using FOSS on Windows?

    Also, you never asked which software I needed the blobs for, so your "I can only repeat again" statement is misdirected. I gave you two examples in my first response: Blender and OpenGL. Granted it wasn't clear that by 'OpenGL' I meant OpenGL development, specifically texture compression and GL3.3+ support. I'm an artist and co-developer of cross-platform indi-games/game-engine (in my spare time, engine is https://github.com/reignstudios/ReignSDK). Although not released on Linux yet, and not the most impressive of titles, our latest game (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pvCcgQiXNk) requires texture compression. Our new project requires heavy 3D modeling and modern differed rendering techniques. It's simply impractical to work around the limitations and bugs of Linux OSS drivers specifically when that's such a small marketing target to begin with.

    I work almost exclusively on Linux, but I wouldn't be able to if it weren't for the closed-source blobs. Honestly though, all that's besides the point. Even if all anyone did was run games on Linux, having a closed-driver as an option would still be a good thing because at least Steam games are possible at that point (which they aren't with the OSS drivers, yet), and that would lead to a higher volume of Linux desktops out there. More consumers means more support means more development, which is exactly what your arguing having closed-source drivers prevents.

    Look, I'm a eager as the next guy to have the OSS drivers catch-up to the closed-source ones, but the reality is they simply aren't heading that direction any-time soon and they never will if people don't see Linux as a graphically comparable alternative to Windows.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    First you say the only way to support Open Source is to go Open-Source only, then you advocate using FOSS on Windows?

    Also, you never asked which software I needed the blobs for, so your "I can only repeat again" statement is misdirected. I gave you two examples in my first response: Blender and OpenGL. Granted it wasn't clear that by 'OpenGL' I meant OpenGL development, specifically texture compression and GL3.3+ support. I'm an artist and co-developer of cross-platform indi-games/game-engine (in my spare time, engine is https://github.com/reignstudios/ReignSDK). Although not released on Linux yet, and not the most impressive of titles, our latest game (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pvCcgQiXNk) requires texture compression. Our new project requires heavy 3D modeling and modern differed rendering techniques. It's simply impractical to work around the limitations and bugs of Linux OSS drivers specifically when that's such a small marketing target to begin with.

    I work almost exclusively on Linux, but I wouldn't be able to if it weren't for the closed-source blobs. Honestly though, all that's besides the point. Even if all anyone did was run games on Linux, having a closed-driver as an option would still be a good thing because at least Steam games are possible at that point (which they aren't with the OSS drivers, yet), and that would lead to a higher volume of Linux desktops out there. More consumers means more support means more development, which is exactly what your arguing having closed-source drivers prevents.

    Look, I'm a eager as the next guy to have the OSS drivers catch-up to the closed-source ones, but the reality is they simply aren't heading that direction any-time soon and they never will if people don't see Linux as a graphically comparable alternative to Windows.
    blender runs on windows!

    I assume you mean S3TC texture compression? this is available via libtxc_dxtn

    and what steam games? there are no steam games available on gnu/linux as yet and if they were i'm pretty sure the r600g driver could handle them no problem

    infact because all the free drivers use mesa for opengl this will make life much easier for valve instead of having to work around the different interpretations of opengl that amd/nvidia come up with

    and since when does blender require opengl 3.3?

    everyone who uses computers on the internet uses gnu/linux - it is one of the most widely used operating systems in the world - it got to this point by being free not by half arsed open/closed development

    and i can assure you now that the radeon drivers have alot less bugs than the current catalyst drivers - i know because i can do a side by side comparison

    your arguments fail and you contradict yourself alot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •