AMD Catalyst: Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    some pro gamers also use very slow resolutions like 800x600...

real pro gamers in fact don't play for "graphic"
    Exactly what I wanted to tell: Lower resolution counts to lower settings and of course a lower resolution makes the game more smooth (less chances of lag cause of GPU stalls and so on).

Sorry if this wasn't clear from the beginning, english isn't my native language.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
      Catalyst is improving, but still not there to compete with Nvidia. (It still vastly outperforms the "open source" drivers)
      Phoronix reviews are starting to look completely unreliable to me.

In this review (7950 vs gtx 680)
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 7950 , which is far inferior in Windows to the gtx 680, was performing equally to the gtx 680 on linux.
      This suggested that fglrx were faster than nvidia drivers on linux.

Now we get 2 reviews, comparing AMD and Nvidia drivers on linux and Windows, and it appears (and quite noticeably ) the opposite: that Nvidia drivers are better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sverro2 View Post
        Open-source video drivers are even less good, so please keep the binary blobs alive as long as they are better. (personally I really need the binary blobs for gaming/Blendering, there is nothing at the moment that could replace it.)

with binary blobs of NVIDIA:
        what I like:
        - gaming just works
        - desktop feels smooth
        - I get a control panel for my graphics card
        - Blender works faster on Linux than on Windows
        - 3D performance seems to be equally to Windows
        - etc.

what I don't like:
        - plymouth looks weird
        - some weird bugs

The open-source drivers:
        what I don't like:
        - games don't "just run" (missing OGL plugins/slow)
        - desktop doesn't feel smooth
        - No GUI control panel for my graphics card
        - Blender doesn't work AT ALL with Cycles renderer (CUDA)
        - 3D performance is just lower than on Windows
        - a LOT of bugs/crashes in software

What I like:
        - plymouth looks good

So why would you wish the binary blobs dead when there is nothing to replace it AT THE MOMENT?
        Just using the graphics card with binary blobs makes a reasenable user experience.
        Using the same hardware with Open-source drivers (nouveau) makes a BAD user experience.

PS> Ok, Optimus doesn't work with the binary drivers. Neither does it OOTB with the opensource drivers. That's why I don't buy hardware with optimus UNTIL it is properly supported by the binary drivers.

PPS> Opinions are opinions, facts are facts.
        driconf is a gui for .. you know what i'm not even going to bother if you need a gui to do things then you shouldn't be using gnu/linux

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
          repeat after me:

linux is not for games.

linux is for pros.

if you want to play your little gay ass games fuck off to windows.

do what I did: get a laptop with intel graphics = not giving a shit about amd nightmarish linux support.
          haha yeh... can i still play foobillard and wz2100 though?

i dont know though.. the radeon driver with mesa 9 performs very well - really i was shocked at how well

fuck the blobs though - if you're happy to use a closed blob then you may aswell use windows where games are plentiful

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
            I have to add, that I own a Notebook with that HD 4000 and it works ok (XRender for KWin). However, KWin with OpenGL is absolutely not usable (Kubuntu 12.04 with Kernel 3.4).

Btw. this news is about gaming performance, isn't it?
            I like how the "just get intel" faction simply ignores intel's problems.

kwin (4.9.2) opengl compositing is - for me too - pretty much broken with latest xorg/libdrm/mesa/xf86-video-intel git on my i7 3632qm. The radeon driver just worked.

But this thread is about catalyst.
            And the currently newest catalyst 12.9 Beta doesn't work with AMD Enduro.
            What good is performance if I can't use it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
              driconf is a gui for .. you know what i'm not even going to bother if you need a gui to do things then you shouldn't be using gnu/linux
              Sorry, it's very annoying to read such posts .. Even Linus prefers distros who offer some "easiness". And personally, having used driconf, it didn't seem to offer much, oh well, might just be me.
              Personally it's not like I don't know where the config files are, how they work or even how to recover from some disaster, I'd just rather not mess with all that. WHEN the terminal is more convenient, I use that, WHEN a gui is, I use that. If you want to talk about freedom, let the users be free to choose their way of doing things, or shut it.
              If you think you shouldn't use a gui, might as well use gentoo, or better BSD.

fuck the blobs though - if you're happy to use a closed blob then you may aswell use windows where games are plentiful
              Again, this black and white view .. Like someone saying if you're not a communist you're a nazi. If you're not a saint you're a killer. You'd agree I guess?
              I bet your system is not "100% percent free", or will you tell me you have no proprietary driver, firmware etc among other things running? It might be for something on the motherboard, or for ethernet/wifi. Or even firmware for radeon to run. Might as well use windows, you're not with the FOSS people by that logic ..

So PLEASE, just accept your fellow Linux users and the choices they make.
              Freedom --> Choices
              If you want to talk about freedom respect other's choices.
              Either provide help, or don't talk. At least regarding such things. And yes, for many people using the "free" drivers means giving up MUCH of the functionality of their hardware. Is that freedom? Or is it freedom to severely limit your hardware choices.
              I'm not telling anyone to like the blobs or use them, Neither to not use the free drivers. Use what you like and works for you. And don't bash or mock in any way the others who made a different choice. That goes for both blob and free driver users though.(although let's face it, the latter kinda do it a "bit" more .. )
              Is there's ANY choice that is 100% in the end? No .. Does that mean you should use Windows? Actually it means you should rip some of your hardware out of the pc by that logic, since it's not open .. :P
              Sorry, the second post I quoted .. That's BS ..

Btw, should I say again that "free" driver development often relies more or less on the blobs?

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                Sorry, it's very annoying to read such posts .. Even Linus prefers distros who offer some "easiness". And personally, having used driconf, it didn't seem to offer much, oh well, might just be me.
                Personally it's not like I don't know where the config files are, how they work or even how to recover from some disaster, I'd just rather not mess with all that. WHEN the terminal is more convenient, I use that, WHEN a gui is, I use that. If you want to talk about freedom, let the users be free to choose their way of doing things, or shut it.
                If you think you shouldn't use a gui, might as well use gentoo, or better BSD.

Again, this black and white view .. Like someone saying if you're not a communist you're a nazi. If you're not a saint you're a killer. You'd agree I guess?
                I bet your system is not "100% percent free", or will you tell me you have no proprietary driver, firmware etc among other things running? It might be for something on the motherboard, or for ethernet/wifi. Or even firmware for radeon to run. Might as well use windows, you're not with the FOSS people by that logic ..

So PLEASE, just accept your fellow Linux users and the choices they make.
                Freedom --> Choices
                If you want to talk about freedom respect other's choices.
                Either provide help, or don't talk. At least regarding such things. And yes, for many people using the "free" drivers means giving up MUCH of the functionality of their hardware. Is that freedom? Or is it freedom to severely limit your hardware choices.
                I'm not telling anyone to like the blobs or use them, Neither to not use the free drivers. Use what you like and works for you. And don't bash or mock in any way the others who made a different choice. That goes for both blob and free driver users though.(although let's face it, the latter kinda do it a "bit" more .. )
                Is there's ANY choice that is 100% in the end? No .. Does that mean you should use Windows? Actually it means you should rip some of your hardware out of the pc by that logic, since it's not open .. :P
                Sorry, the second post I quoted .. That's BS ..

Btw, should I say again that "free" driver development often relies more or less on the blobs?
                so by your logic freedom lovers should accept people that choose to be in jail?

i do use gentoo but i wouldnt use BSD because the GPL is a much better licence

and why would you use a free(dom) operating system with a non-free component - this is just fucking stupid

you sir are a bell end and you should do some research

start by watching this http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...85592627775409 ( sorry its not in cartoon format and uses big words )and stop pretending that you're the leading authority on free software

and yes all my systems use 100% free software ( to the best of my knowlege! )

Comment

Oh, the ironies already started ..

Ok, maybe you've removed the closed binaries from your kernel.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've already seen it. Please tell what exactly you think I should research more. I accept I might have false/inadequate knowledge on anything, no-one knows everything. I'd gladly improve my knowledge.

"stop pretending that you're the leading authority on free software"<--what?

"so by your logic freedom lovers should accept people that choose to be in jail?"
                  By my logic, Linux users should not bash(more or less) other Linux users cause they chose to run any kind of proprietary software. Especially when it's needed for them.
                  And by my logic any freedom you have is very relative. You talk as if everything is black and white, but then tell me this. That's what I'm calling black and white logic, lol..
                  So you'd say some who uses a closed driver/firmware or anything is in jail? In what are they if they can't use their pc? Or can't choose much of the available hardware? And what is your problem that someone else chose to use use more free software, but aren't (yet?) using 100% free software? You tell them they better use 100% closed or 100% free. You sure you want to stick with that?

And as a "bonus" .. Let's say you found out you need a binary driver to connect to the internet. And there's no open one for your hardware. Guess you'd go change hardware? What if it cost a lot?
                  What if your other options made your internet slow as heck?
                  For many people it's like that.

[In any case we go on a lot, we could as well pm each other, so the thread is not derailed.. Eerr, not too much that is.]

Comment

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
                    Phoronix reviews are starting to look completely unreliable to me.

In this review (7950 vs gtx 680)
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 7950 , which is far inferior in Windows to the gtx 680, was performing equally to the gtx 680 on linux.
                    This suggested that fglrx were faster than nvidia drivers on linux.

Now we get 2 reviews, comparing AMD and Nvidia drivers on linux and Windows, and it appears (and quite noticeably ) the opposite: that Nvidia drivers are better.
                    No one is puzzled by the controversial Phoronix review, which within a few months of distance give 2 opposite results?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
                      No one is puzzled by the controversial Phoronix review, which within a few months of distance give 2 opposite results?
                      Maybe NVIDIA has optimized their drivers more from then, since 680 was relatively new(few months old though....).
                      Or Micheal did mess up the results in some way, but I'd go with NVIDIA not having optimized their drivers enough back then.

Comment

Working...
                      X