AMD Catalyst: Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post

If you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open drivers - using the closed blobs will not improve anything ....
    The blobs improve MY experience. And that's what matters.

I don't have to give a flying hoot about other people's experience.

Comment

Love the conclusion: Runs faster on Windows, driver based is shared between Windows and Linux.

Phornoix conclusion: The driver is missing optimizations on Linux
      My conclusion: The Linux Kernel itself is slower then Windows for gaming

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        The blobs improve MY experience. And that's what matters.

I don't have to give a flying hoot about other people's experience.
        well isnt it abit stupid to use a free system like ubuntu when it gives no performance advantage over windows and there is alot less commercial software available?

Comment

if you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open gpu drivers. If its not good enough for you - make a bug report or attempt to make it better yourself

If you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open drivers - using the closed blobs will not improve anything ....
          Open Source and Linux are bigger than just graphics drivers and OpenGL. I can support parts of the whole without needing to directly contribute to every piece.

Would you prefer me to not contribute at all and use Windows/Mac simply because I need the performance and features to the blobs?

Comment

if you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open gpu drivers. If its not good enough for you - make a bug report or attempt to make it better yourself

And this mentality is exactly why Linux is ignored by the public at large.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
              Open Source and Linux are bigger than just graphics drivers and OpenGL. I can support parts of the whole without needing to directly contribute to every piece.

Would you prefer me to not contribute at all and use Windows/Mac simply because I need the performance and features to the blobs?
              you can run free software on windows...

EDIT: I can only repeat again - what software are you using that requires opengl 4.x ? and what software are you using that the r600g driver cannot handle?

oil rush?
              Last edited by D0pamine; 22 October 2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                And this mentality is exactly why Linux is ignored by the public at large.

most of the public are like you - morons and i dont care for so called community members who completely miss the point of free software - so fuck 'em - let them play with windows

Comment

Exactly, only the "privileged" few matter at all.

Comment

you can run free software on windows...

EDIT: I can only repeat again - what software are you using that requires opengl 4.x ? and what software are you using that the r600g driver cannot handle?

oil rush?
                    First you say the only way to support Open Source is to go Open-Source only, then you advocate using FOSS on Windows?

Also, you never asked which software I needed the blobs for, so your "I can only repeat again" statement is misdirected. I gave you two examples in my first response: Blender and OpenGL. Granted it wasn't clear that by 'OpenGL' I meant OpenGL development, specifically texture compression and GL3.3+ support. I'm an artist and co-developer of cross-platform indi-games/game-engine (in my spare time, engine is https://github.com/reignstudios/ReignSDK). Although not released on Linux yet, and not the most impressive of titles, our latest game (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pvCcgQiXNk) requires texture compression. Our new project requires heavy 3D modeling and modern differed rendering techniques. It's simply impractical to work around the limitations and bugs of Linux OSS drivers specifically when that's such a small marketing target to begin with.

I work almost exclusively on Linux, but I wouldn't be able to if it weren't for the closed-source blobs. Honestly though, all that's besides the point. Even if all anyone did was run games on Linux, having a closed-driver as an option would still be a good thing because at least Steam games are possible at that point (which they aren't with the OSS drivers, yet), and that would lead to a higher volume of Linux desktops out there. More consumers means more support means more development, which is exactly what your arguing having closed-source drivers prevents.

Look, I'm a eager as the next guy to have the OSS drivers catch-up to the closed-source ones, but the reality is they simply aren't heading that direction any-time soon and they never will if people don't see Linux as a graphically comparable alternative to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                      First you say the only way to support Open Source is to go Open-Source only, then you advocate using FOSS on Windows?

Also, you never asked which software I needed the blobs for, so your "I can only repeat again" statement is misdirected. I gave you two examples in my first response: Blender and OpenGL. Granted it wasn't clear that by 'OpenGL' I meant OpenGL development, specifically texture compression and GL3.3+ support. I'm an artist and co-developer of cross-platform indi-games/game-engine (in my spare time, engine is https://github.com/reignstudios/ReignSDK). Although not released on Linux yet, and not the most impressive of titles, our latest game (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pvCcgQiXNk) requires texture compression. Our new project requires heavy 3D modeling and modern differed rendering techniques. It's simply impractical to work around the limitations and bugs of Linux OSS drivers specifically when that's such a small marketing target to begin with.

I work almost exclusively on Linux, but I wouldn't be able to if it weren't for the closed-source blobs. Honestly though, all that's besides the point. Even if all anyone did was run games on Linux, having a closed-driver as an option would still be a good thing because at least Steam games are possible at that point (which they aren't with the OSS drivers, yet), and that would lead to a higher volume of Linux desktops out there. More consumers means more support means more development, which is exactly what your arguing having closed-source drivers prevents.

Look, I'm a eager as the next guy to have the OSS drivers catch-up to the closed-source ones, but the reality is they simply aren't heading that direction any-time soon and they never will if people don't see Linux as a graphically comparable alternative to Windows.
                      blender runs on windows!

I assume you mean S3TC texture compression? this is available via libtxc_dxtn

and what steam games? there are no steam games available on gnu/linux as yet and if they were i'm pretty sure the r600g driver could handle them no problem

infact because all the free drivers use mesa for opengl this will make life much easier for valve instead of having to work around the different interpretations of opengl that amd/nvidia come up with

and since when does blender require opengl 3.3?

everyone who uses computers on the internet uses gnu/linux - it is one of the most widely used operating systems in the world - it got to this point by being free not by half arsed open/closed development

and i can assure you now that the radeon drivers have alot less bugs than the current catalyst drivers - i know because i can do a side by side comparison

your arguments fail and you contradict yourself alot

Comment

Working...
                      X