Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Foundation Revises Its Purpose

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation Revises Its Purpose

The X.Org Foundation has finally updated their Wiki page to reflect that they aren't only about the X Window System...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With Wayland likely to unseat X11 on the Linux desktop in years to come, the X.Org Foundation has updated its purpose / mission statement.

I must have missed something I think Wayland is a still birth like directfb and will never really attract people to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
      With Wayland likely to unseat X11 on the Linux desktop in years to come, the X.Org Foundation has updated its purpose / mission statement.

I must have missed something I think Wayland is a still birth like directfb and will never really attract people to use it.
      There are many devices using directfb, just not many desktops.
      And wayland has the momentum to become something because of the benefits, and that there are lots of devs/distros encouraging it.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Maybe they can rename it in Graphics foundation to fit the purpose better. Anyway this is good and it will be better if they can organize something to fund GPU driver development.

Comment

This is basically just formalizing what we have already been doing for years (supporting both X and related non-X projects).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Maybe they can rename it in Graphics foundation to fit the purpose better. Anyway this is good and it will be better if they can organize something to fund GPU driver development.
              W.Org.

(it's even available for registering)

Comment

Working...
              X