Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel On Haswell Under Linux: "We've Screwed Up"

Phoronix: Intel On Haswell Under Linux: "We've Screwed Up"

After the change yesterday to now hide early Intel hardware support by default to fend off early driver issues for new graphics hardware -- such as mode-setting just outright failing to work -- Intel has commented a bit more on the driver support for the forthcoming "Haswell" hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ian Romanick [PATCH 1/2] intel: Enable S3TC extensions always
    Ian Romanick [PATCH 2/2] i965: Enable floating-point textures always

From here:
    Patch 1/2 is probably only a candidate for 9.0 branch. It has a weak
    dependency on some other work that's only on 9.0 (see 42723d8).

Patch 2/2 could be a candidate for both 8.0 and 9.0. I suspect that
    most people build our driver with floating-point textures enabled
    anyway, so it's no real change.

Comment

WOW does this mean that we will have it in all drivers in Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        WOW does this mean that we will have it in all drivers in Mesa.
        No, it doesn't mean anything.

@OT: No worries, Haswell is scheduled for April and Ubuntu 13.04 will use Linux 3.8.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          No, it doesn't mean anything.

@OT: No worries, Haswell is scheduled for April and Ubuntu 13.04 will use Linux 3.8.

The next question is why. I mean if intel managed to get over the legal mess why the others can't do the same.

Comment

Poor OpengGL support for Haswell

Intel also doesn't seem to care much about OpenGL for Haswell. They only have support for OpenGL 4.0 in Haswell, which by its launch will be 3 years old. In the mean time, Nvidia will launch OpenGL 4.3 support in their drivers by the end of the year.

Until Intel gets it together with the support for latest OpenGL versions, I can't take them seriously as a graphics company.

Comment

Nvidia has got OpenGL 4.3.0 support with driver release 310.14 already. But i hope that Intel works a bit faster that Rage could be used with the Linux driver as well (via wine). With nvidia you don't need to boot win. Sadly Intel win drivers are usually much faster for more demanding games. It is really a pity that Optimus support does not work natively - just because of a few GPL-only exports. Basically Intel gfx is ok for office use but definitely not for gaming (yet). The current hack (bumblebee) is a bit complicated to use.

Comment

You still need S3TC lib for some functionality, they've just enabled the same stuff by default that happens now when you set the environment variable since most of the extension is present in mesa.

Very interesting about the fp textures, though.

I wonder if intel licensed this for their hardware, or if their lawyers just said it was ok, or what?

Comment

Intel, NO, you didn't screw up.

Your hardware isn't even out yet. When your hardware is out, people will just use the 3.8 kernel or whatever kernel they need to use your hardware well. It's really no big deal to pick up a newer kernel version, even if they're running older distributions or a distribution that didn't ship with a newer kernel version. That is why Debian and Ubuntu have backports, for exactly this reason.

If it's 8 months after the hardware is out and your driver isn't stable and doesn't support many features of your hardware.. *THEN* I'd say you screwed up, but that's not going to happen with Haswell. So stop being so hard on yourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                    Intel, NO, you didn't screw up.

Your hardware isn't even out yet. When your hardware is out, people will just use the 3.8 kernel or whatever kernel they need to use your hardware well. It's really no big deal to pick up a newer kernel version, even if they're running older distributions or a distribution that didn't ship with a newer kernel version. That is why Debian and Ubuntu have backports, for exactly this reason.

If it's 8 months after the hardware is out and your driver isn't stable and doesn't support many features of your hardware.. *THEN* I'd say you screwed up, but that's not going to happen with Haswell. So stop being so hard on yourselves
                    +1, Kayden please pass these sentiments along to the open source team. If you guys at Intel had decided to do a launch-day code drop for Haswell and a few months, and hundreds of bug reports, later decided "Oops! We screwed up!" THAT would be a big deal and people would be mad. But Haswell isn't even out yet, NO ONE's machine depends on Haswell outside of Intel which means backwards compatibility at any level is non existant. I say break the stuff as many times as you want. Thats a corner stone of programming right there. You wrote a solution to a problem, in this case hardware enablement, realized you didn't do it right and instead of just going "oh well", you went back and fixed it. I say kudos, but here's to hoping that v2 of the code is the right one
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X