Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post

i'd wager the r600g could easily reproduce this even in wine
    then by all means, please perform the benchmark and post the results for everyone to see. Don't give assumptions such as 'could reproduce' or 'should be able to reproduce'.

In a benchmark, the numbers are everything.

Off-topic: Im using the r600g driver for my obsolete Radeon HD 3470. Definitely much more stable than fglrx but image is not as sharp as the latter, and power management is still subpar.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 20 October 2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      then by all means, please perform the benchmark and post the results for everyone to see. Don't give assumptions such as 'could reproduce' or 'should be able to reproduce'.

In a benchmark, the numbers are everything.
      I dont have batman nor do i want it

I assume you disbelieve the performance of the r600g?

careful you don't get any love piss in your eye...

Comment

VERY hard to accept those claims about r600g's performance at face value when it chokes on handling a 720p video clip which plays back flawlessly under fglrx.

Comment

VERY hard to accept those claims about r600g's performance at face value when it chokes on handling a 720p video clip which plays back flawlessly under fglrx.
          What in the world does video decode performance have to do with 3D rendering performance?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            What in the world does video decode performance have to do with 3D rendering performance?
            Of course it doesn't.

My point is that if video decode performance is poor under r600g vs fglrx, can anyone reasonably expect 3D rendering performance to be any better?

Basically, if Driver A does poorly in Task A, the average consumer will logically think that Driver A will not be able to deliver a reasonable performance for Task B, regardless of whether Task A and Task B have any relation between them.

Comment

funny you should say that as i often play 1080p videos on my xbmc htpc without using vdpau and all play flawlessly I then use advanced launcher to run games in wine and these too work flawlessly

i can only assume you've not set it up correctly

there are many benchmarks on phoronix that confirm that i'm not bullshitting you, why would i bullshit you? not only would i be wasting my time but i'd soon be discovered to be a bullshitter by looking at said benchmarks

I'd much rather see piglit comparisons than yet another benchmark so we can all see which implementation of opengl follows the opengl specifications best

Comment

Although a few months old .. Here's a random radeon benchmark article ..!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You can probably also try to get a rough idea about the current numbers by applying the results of more recent phoronix benchmarks between the newest version of radeon and the previous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                  the radeon driver/mesa does not have access to the hardware video decoder although its only a matter of time - well actually it does but only for mpeg2 and even then i've had no luck in making it work but then again i've no real need for it at the moment as i said 1080p video playback is flawless anyway

Comment

i can only assume you've not set it up correctly
                    I'm running the r600g on its default settings in Fedora 17. Care to share some of the configurations you make for smooth video playback?

Note: 720p playback on Youtube is even choppier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                      Although a few months old .. Here's a random radeon benchmark article ..!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You can probably also try to get a rough idea about the current numbers by applying the results of more recent phoronix benchmarks between the newest version of radeon and the previous.
                      is this with the S3TC helper library enabled? also i do remember something about ubuntu ... yeh its broken :P

EDIT: I never said that it has superior performance to fglrx but it does follow opengl specs more closely and its infinitely more stable
                      Last edited by D0pamine; 20 October 2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X