Bickering Continues About NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    In return the use of the kernel API by the proprietary driver will be tolerated.
    Tolerated by whom?

Anyone could sue any Linux distribution for infringement, especially one of the thousand+ kernel developers, present or past.

Who has the authority to "tolerate" a GPL violation?

It's not like Alan or Linus can simply go ahead and say "oh, ignore the GPL, it doesn't matter anyway" as a sign of good will.

The real meat here is that Nvidia is not really running a risk here, because they do not distribute infringing code. What they want is the distributions to break the GPL by shipping their software. Nobody could legally ship such drivers anyway!

Comment

Firefox 4? Thank you for the timely news!

Back on planet Earth, Firefox works fine with hardware acceleration on FLOSS drivers.

You don't actually use Linux, so of course you don't know that. No need to thank me!

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Firefox 4? Thank you for the timely news!

Back on planet Earth, Firefox works fine with hardware acceleration on FLOSS drivers.

You don't actually use Linux, so of course you don't know that. No need to thank me!
        Thanks for reminding everyone how idiotic you are. Give yourself a clap I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
          Thanks for reminding everyone how idiotic you are. Give yourself a clap I guess.
          I was only trying to help you. If you can't get acceleration working, ask somebody more technically inclined.

No need to get all angry and all...

Comment

I got acceleration from day 1 with Nvidia drivers. A clueless moron like you running open source drivers got zero hardware acceleration for a long time. But nice try at trolling I guess. Give yourself a pat on your back, if it makes you feel better.

Comment

One can only hope Alan Cox and every retarded kernel dev including Linus "Fuck You" Torvalds will die a horrible, slow, painful death.
              you seem like a very nice person... infact would you like to do some babysitting for me? or maybe you'll be too busy trying to get
              your shitty $50 gpu working?

Is your name hans reiser by any chance?

Comment

I'm running a Kepler GPU now, a poor person like D0pamine could never afford anything but $50 Celeron and the HD2000 on older Sandy Bridge or HD2500 on the newer Ivy Bridge cores.

And do try running your precious open source nouveau garbage on Kepler GPUs, it's quite a hilarious experience, ahh but oh well, you can't afford one anyway.

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTAxMw

If open source drivers were actually usable or bug free, fact is they're not and it's well proven it's significantly worse and buggy as hell, even with documetation like the Radeon open source drivers. Open source driver Nazis and GPL Nazis are only killing Linux, simple as that. The biggest enemies are not Microsoft or Apple, it's the GPL Nazis themselves.
                  no idiot GPL2 is a license and kernel is a project using that license since 20 years ago troll and since laws exists too, you are bound to the terms of that license retard is just that simply. if you don't consider GPL to be the right choice then go here http://www.pcbsd.org/ which is a more adequate licensed OS for you.

Comment

Would nvidia allow bending of their licence to better accommodate the linux kernel? If not why would anyone agree to bending of the GPL not that such a thing can be done anyway and anyone who says it can be done does not understand the GPL

The problem here is simple - people read shit on forums before they'll read and understand the GPL. They believe there is an evil 'linux' corporation headed by a finnish man who lives in castle greyskull who dictates what can and what cannot run on his operating system which he gives away for 'free' in order to try and achieve market saturation. Fortunately the people who believe this are fuckwits/fanbois/trolls and don't report bugs, write documentation or even write code. They are very opinionated by nature however and like to do 'feature requests' hence the complete fucking mess that is known as ubuntu

go on someone say 'Desktop market share' if they DARE :P

Comment

Hah, trying to imply that OSS drivers are more unstable than the proprietary ones. The ludicrousness of that claim was quite amusing.

Also, man, what's with all the trolls recently. This is a hot topic and all, but why should there be giant text, insults and ridiculous claims everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X