Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Might Replace Rsyslogd With Journald

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Might Replace Rsyslogd With Journald

While Fedora 18 is still more than one month away and we don't even know the Fedora 19 codename yet, one F19 feature is being talked about already. Fedora 19 might replace rsyslog with systemd's journald as the default process for system logging...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like the concept of the journal. It makes troubleshooting a hell of a lot easier. However, right now it's extremely slow to view a log the first time on btrfs and a rotational disk (a number of people have complained on the mailing list).

For example, "journalctl -b" takes minutes to display anything after a few days worth of logs have been saved. After that, it's quick until a restart.

Hopefully some of this will be fixed in systemd 195, I see a few journal memory management fixes in the log.

A nice to have would be finer grained control over what gets stored persistently. Right now it looks like just a log level is used, but I might have different log levels (or nothing at all) depending on different filters.

Comment

I personally don't like journal; I still keep syslog running.

Comment

LennartOS is marching...

Comment

"For example, "journalctl -b" takes minutes to display anything after a few days worth of logs have been saved. After that, it's quick until a restart."

I find it funny, because I daily need to search through a few terabytes of syslog data. it bothers me because it takes like 20min.=p

And yeah, the "binary all the things" "put all the things in one program suite" and "forcefully replace standard stuff with non-compatible stuff" kinda piss me off.

I liked pulseaudio tho.. in concept at least. I wanted hard to keep it. I finally stopped using it a year ago and run pure alsa stuff and it just works better. Coincidental I guess, but, it doesnt give me so much faith in the other programs anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
            And yeah, the "binary all the things" "put all the things in one program suite" and "forcefully replace standard stuff with non-compatible stuff" kinda piss me off.
            We are not talking about windows in this thre.. oh wait!

Comment

I liked pulseaudio tho.. in concept at least. I wanted hard to keep it. I finally stopped using it a year ago and run pure alsa stuff and it just works better. Coincidental I guess, but, it doesnt give me so much faith in the other programs anymore.
              In what operating system you have trouble to run pulseaudio and what is the hardware specification? Maybe the issue is with the driver itself which could have bug or could be badly packaged.

Comment

How can you call it forced if you can still run syslog? Journal is not aiming to replace every feature and they point to syslog when you want the specific things syslog is good at.

Journal seems to work out of the box pretty well, I do think it needs a bit more time to mature, but 6 months should be enough? especially as Fedora is not the only distribution which is considering such a switch.

Comment

roland: Lennart mentioned in the thread that the journal ought to be considerably faster in F18 than F17, so that ties in with what you thought.

Comment

Working...
                  X