Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calxeda EnergyCore ECX-1000 ARM Server

Phoronix: Calxeda EnergyCore ECX-1000 ARM Server

Earlier this month I was down in Texas visiting the Calxeda office where for the past four years they have been busy trying to revolutionize the server market through ultra-low power ARM-based servers. This morning one of their partners, Boston Limited, is formally launching their energy-efficient "Viridis" server built around Calxeda's EnergyCore ECX-1000 hardware. In this article are the first of some public Calxeda ARM benchmarks on Ubuntu Linux while more results will be out in the coming days.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some new hardware comes out, and the first thing you compare it to... is itself?

Comment

Very cool machine! Thanks for review! True, needs something to compare to, however... probably an Intel or AMD equivalent, running in same total cost segment.

Comment

Per-watt numbers when?

Comment

Michael, maybe you should try to show the phoronix test suite to these people: http://phoronix.com/forums/register....f931f51f7b2d6c

Do a proper benchmark, taking into account all the points made in the article.

Also, any idea about prices? Of single chips and complete minimal setups, like what's offered by HP?

Comment

The best thing to run this against would be something like Atom or Tegra 3. For comparison you could also calculate some performance per watt metrics for Atom, Tegra 3, and Ivy Bridge. That'd be cool.

I bet the performance per watt on some of the old dedi servers people run (Core 2 Quad, etc) is heinous! I'd love to see performance per watt on that "venerable" old hardware tested against something cutting edge like this.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              The best thing to run this against would be something like Atom or Tegra 3. For comparison you could also calculate some performance per watt metrics for Atom, Tegra 3, and Ivy Bridge. That'd be cool.

I bet the performance per watt on some of the old dedi servers people run (Core 2 Quad, etc) is heinous! I'd love to see performance per watt on that "venerable" old hardware tested against something cutting edge like this.
              Intel Atom, AMD Bobcat, and maybe a low end ivy bridge i3 would make a good comparison.

Comment

This looks like an interesting chip - although the 32-bitness isn' ideal.

I expect a future ARMv8 variant of this device built on a 20nm node will be very competitive.

But yeah, it would be nice to see it compared with comparable Atoms and Bobcats.

Comment

Comparing the results to http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...RA-INTELATOM04, it looks like this quad-core ARM at 1.4 GHz can keep up with an Intel Atom D525 at 1.8 GHz. So the flagship quad-core ARM product ist equivalent to a dual-core Atom from 2010, the Atom running at a slightly higher clock frequency.

Comment

32bit isn't all that big of a hit if you are using this for webhosting... if you were using it for serving out databases and such it probably would be since those are going to be geard toward big iron thats already 64bit an example being ZFS

Comment

Working...
                    X