No announcement yet.

System lockup with catalyst 8.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have an AGP based Radeon HD2x00 card, Zlatan?
    What you describe seems common behaviour with fglrx right now, there have been many reports (including regarding my own Radeon HD2600XT AGP on a VIA K8T800Pro motherboard) that the current fglrx driver doesn't work for HD2x00-based AGP cards, at least not on many common VIA motherboard chipsets.
    My system freezes, with a black screen for most incarnations of the fglrx driver, or with a partially drawn Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 (64-bit) GDM login screen for version 8.433. Disabling direct rendering sometimes makes the driver work but slower than the open-source non-accelerated radeonhd driver which is what I'm currently using.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
    Last edited by Swoopy; 27 January 2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

heh... thanks for the info...

I'm actually using x1600pro AGP but i suppose it's the same issue.
      RadeonHD gives me a green tinted screen(19" CRT)... probably because it lacks support for TV-out(PAL CRT TV) currently... unless the situation has improved recently...

EDIT: just tried it again(radeonHD)... still green... probably trying to run primary display at 50Hz And I really do not want to disconnect my TV all the time.
      Last edited by zlatan; 27 January 2008, 05:41 PM.

Comment

My x700 AGP card doesn't work with versions 7.11, 7.12 or 8.1

Originally posted by Swoopy View Post
        Do you have an AGP based Radeon HD2x00 card, Zlatan?
        What you describe seems common behaviour with fglrx right now, there have been many reports (including regarding my own Radeon HD2600XT AGP on a VIA K8T800Pro motherboard) that the current fglrx driver doesn't work for HD2x00-based AGP cards, at least not on many common VIA motherboard chipsets.
        My system freezes, with a black screen for most incarnations of the fglrx driver, or with a partially drawn Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 (64-bit) GDM login screen for version 8.433. Disabling direct rendering sometimes makes the driver work but slower than the open-source non-accelerated radeonhd driver which is what I'm currently using.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=843&num=1
        Swoopy, I seem to have the same problem you commented.
        My system is:
        Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2.6ghz HT
        Motherboard Intel D865PERL
        Saphire X700 AGP 256Mb (rialto chip)
        19" CRT Monitor.
        Kernel 2.6.22-3-686 (pre-compiled from backports.org)
        Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 Etch (Stable)
        Xorg 7.1.0-19

The system freezes when loading gdm. I see a partially loaded image, mostly blank.

I had the IRQ loading problem with 8.42 versions, wich is speciffically an AGP bug, wich partially worked but with a very
        poor performance, fglx_gears very slow and compiz full of glitches(white titles, and after some minutes totally blank screen).

With the 7.11, 7.12 and 8.1 catalyst driver, my system totally freezes when loading gdm.
        The strangest thing, is that there is NO ERROR in the logs, gdm log, Xorg log and even syslog log. The module loads flawlessly, I disabled the gdm startup and loaded the module manually, just loading the module doesn't freeze the system, but when gdm "uses" it the system freezes/lockup, I had posted this problem here before:

but the suggestion I had(lowering the agp aperture) didn't work.

It seems to me that the problem is still related to the IRQ assignment. Right after where would be the log error about the IRQ, the system freezes and there is no more lines in the log.

I thought this problem would be solved with a new driver release....

I'm very dissapointed with AMD/ATI. Nvidia is a year in advance, if we talk about driver support. They even support Freebsd, wich I'd like to use as well, but not without 3d acceleration.

Bridgman, I'd gladly join the AGP beta testers group, as someone said before here in the forums, I feel the AGP users are not well represented in the beta testers. How do I do that?

Swoopy, in your post above you posted a link to a how-to install the radeonhd driver. Do you mean that there is no solution to use the newest fglrx proprietary driver in agp cards?

I'm very upset with the support of the driver in the *nix systems.
        If I don't get it working on the next driver release, I'll sell my ATI card, and buy a NVIDIA one. I can't wait anymore, AIGLX is out there for a year already. I'll also tell all of my friends who use linux to stay away from ATI cards..... I'd hate to do that, but here in Brazil, a lot of ppl still use AGP cards, the majority I'd dare to say, we don't change our hardware every year, my box is in good use for 5 years already. Many of my friends buy ATI cards because they are cheaper(at least here) and have a good hardware.

Just hope they can continue to do so, if ATI improve their linux driver in a short time.
        The cost/benefit price/performance relationship on ATI cards, is excelent.
        So should be their linux/freebsd drivers.
        Last edited by israel_miranda; 29 January 2008, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Removing atieventsd fixes hang

Running
          sudo /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f atieventsd remove

fixed the hang on logout for me.

Comment

Working...
          X