System lockup with catalyst 8.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT: double post.
    Last edited by linrunner; 23 January 2008, 02:50 PM.

Comment

My conclusion was wrong:
      FGLRX_ACPI_SWITCH_POWERSTATES=false
      is not an reliable workaround.

I either have to turn 3D off completely
      Option "NoDRI"
      or disable atieventsd.

linrunner>

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
        The problem is that *most* of those options are not available in amdccle. There only a *very* minor subset of the stuff that gets set is available. And since the xorg.conf is basically setup by an admin, what the admin says should be valued, that is those values should override whatever is set in amdpcsdb.
        FY, I'm told that aticonfig can modify all of the settings in amdpcsdb, not just the ones supported by cccle.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyHairy View Post
          Hmmm, if atieventsd is the culprit, then I would wager that the driver is in fact locking up on switching powerstates which is performed by atieventsd (which reproducibly locks up my machine, see my post in the main thread). You might want to check this assertion by manually trying to switch powerstates via aticonfig...
          <snip>
          Not all automatic powerstate switching is done by this daemon. There is also an acpid control script in /etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh, which is executed for lid and AC events. This will work even without the atieventsd daemon running ! I think the daemon is needed if you want throttling for thermal events or display hotplugging. I don't have overheating problems and don't care for automatic display hotplugging. Can anyone from AMD confirm this ?

So, without atieventsd running, I'm still successfully using automatic powerstate switching when I pull the AC plug or close/open the LID.

Comment

I have same poweroff/logout/switchuser problem.
            Also if my x doesn't start correctly when i start my pc... and i let it stay there like for 5+ minutes it's stuck and hard reset is only way to restart.
            As i asked elsewhere... do i really have to wait another month (at least) before this gets fixed???
            Restaring from power button is bad for any os so hopefully this will be fixed....ASAP.

Kubuntu 7.10 w/ latest updates.
            Ati 2400 pro pcie.

Comment

After removing atieventsd, I can log out and restart X. However, if two or more users are simultaneously logged-in, my computer still "freezes" when logging out and restarting X on my system. I'm using a Dell E1505, X1400, Ubuntu 7.10.

Comment

fix with disabled atieventsd didn't work for me

i also tried the suggested fix with disabled atieventsd daemon but had no luck. x still crashes on logout or ctrl-alt-bkspce. i killed atieventsd daemon a few times manually. it's also no difference if i'm logged in alone or there are two or more logged users.

i'm on:
                hp compaq nx8220
                ati mobility radeon x600
                kubuntu gutsy 7.10
                default kernel
                catalyst 8.01 installed with envy

thanks for your work,

toxic
                Last edited by toxic-hero; 26 January 2008, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toxic-hero View Post
                  i also tried the suggested fix with disabled atieventsd daemon but had no luck. x still crashes on logout or ctrl-alt-bkspce. i killed atieventsd daemon a few times manually. it's also no difference if i'm logged in alone or there are two or more logged users.
                  I also tried that a few days ago - with no luck. But as I'm using Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) and the 8.01 drivers recently got included in the default repositories, I switched back to the fglrx driver packaged by the Ubuntu team. And to my very surprise everything works fine again now.
                  I don't know about the differences between the original AMD/ATI driver packages and the ones built by the Ubuntu devs though.

Comment

Over here on gentoo unstable everything works nicely with the atieventsd turned off. I have also turned on the overlay options again and had no more crashes. So for me the cause of the problems was atieventsd.

Comment

Hm, my system locks up imediatly after starting X... with 8.1 and 7.12 driver on gutsy...
                      I don't know what is wrong.. kernel module built correctly via dkms and everything installs fine...
                      Xorg.0.log:
                      X Window System Version 1.3.0
                      Release Date: 19 April 2007
                      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
                      Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8.3)
                      Current Operating System: Linux speedZ 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 08:02:57 UTC 2007 i686
                      Build Date: 18 January 2008
                      Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
                      to make sure that you have the latest version.
                      Module Loader present
                      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                      (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                      (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan 26 19:40:52 2008
                      (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
                      (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
                      (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
                      (**) | |-->Monitor "SyncMaster"
                      (**) | |-->Device "Generic Video Card"
                      (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
                      (**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
                      (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
                      This is where it halts completly... reset button is all there is left.
                      I'm I the only one experiencing this issue?... as i see all of You manage to start X... but have issues later.

Comment

Working...
                      X