Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Works On Mainlining More Linux Kernel Code

Phoronix: VMware Works On Mainlining More Linux Kernel Code

VMware developers continue to work on mainlining more of their Linux kernel code to support their virtualization platform in the name of improving the "out of the box" experience for Linux VM guests. The latest work has been on pushing forward VMCI and VSOCK for the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not so exciting since VMware is proprietary.

Is this code VMware-specific or can it be used by any VM?

Comment

Very Nice to see.

I use VMware Workstation 8 to run Windows XP at work and VMware Player 5 on my home rig to try out different Linux flavors. Easy to set up, no special kernels, and cross platform.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Not so exciting since VMware is proprietary.

Is this code VMware-specific or can it be used by any VM?
        Only VMWare uses those interfaces. The code is not VMWare-specific though. It can be used by anyone, though no one else uses it.

Comment

This is good!

If VMWare can get all of their guest drivers into the kernel then there is no more need to run "vmware-config-tools.pl" and then reboot after every kernel upgrade.

If you run Fedora in a virtual machine (Fedora is unmatched for software development but frankly it's MISERABLE as a daily desktop) this will be especially good because Fedora updates kernels a lot.

If it gets into the kernel then maybe OTHER virtualization solutions can leverage from it.

What I find MOST HILARIOUS about the GNU people and their bizarre quest for intellectual purity is when they say "we don't care about hardware". In that case they should NOT CARE that VMware is proprietary software, because from the point of view of Linux, VMWare IS HARDWARE.

When I purchase my copy of VMWare Workstation, I put it in my HARDWARE budget, because it provides a PLATFORM for an OPERATING SYSTEM and that is what HARDWARE does.

Comment

Hopefully, KVM or VirtualBox can make some use of this... also vmwgfx. VirtualBox has an "OK" 3d acceleration infrastructure already, but VMware's is lightyears ahead of it. I'd much rather that they jump on board the vmwgfx train and figure out how to provide its hypervisor-side interfaces in a similar way to VMware's proprietary hypervisor.

Comment

Working...
            X