Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Ubuntu "Low-Jitter" Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Ubuntu "Low-Jitter" Linux Kernel

There's an independently maintained "low-jitter" version of the Linux kernel targeting Ubuntu, which claims to be faster, but is that really the case?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This article made me laugh so much, thanks! Nothing like a good old placebo.

Comment

missing the point

the thing is not called low _jitter_ for no reason ... maybe you should actually also benchmark jitter in various fields (eg. std. distribution of apache response times, frame jitter, ...) instead of "raw performance"

Comment

Missing the point indeed

The whole point of low jitter is low jitter. Running throughput benchmarks pretty much misses the point.

Comment

Well that was a joke. Where's the magical 3x performance and amazing desktop responsiveness promised by the posters?

Compile your own kernel, they said...

Comment

Check out TechReport's articles on what jitter is... that might help for next time. These benchmarks have absolutely nothing to do with jitter.

Comment

1. Benchmarks just proved that those patches in fact have impact on the kernel
              2. They are likely actually improve the responsivness as one would except the lower scores that might come cause of extra overhead.
              3, One should be happy that drops in overal performance is hardly noticable

ps anyone tested the patches and may comment about the "low-jitter"?

Comment

How is jitter defined in computer kernels. I know what jitter is in electronics but kernels?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  How is jitter defined in computer kernels. I know what jitter is in electronics but kernels?
                  Delay variation till a process gets the cpu again due to scheduling I think.

Comment

You should punch some speed holes in your car. I did it. It works.

Comment

Working...
                    X