Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 3 Gets Its Second Alpha Release

Phoronix: Mageia 3 Gets Its Second Alpha Release

The second alpha release of Mageia 3 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME 3.6 is also included.

Comment

kernel 3.5.5 ??? why are these people so conservative even when in alpha??

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        kernel 3.5.5 ??? why are these people so conservative even when in alpha??
        It takes some time to test things. The alpha is pretty stable, which is IMO the right thing to do. Latest kernel is 3.6.2 so doesn't seem to be far behind.

Also, updating a kernel is a bit more involved that just packaging a new kernel and hoping for the best.

Comment

well the alphas shouldn't be stable, they should be highly experiemental...

and this annoys me, ubuntu/fedora/mageia they pretty much lock the kernel down in the first alpha and they ride out until the final release

wtf?

lock your shit in the beta stage but while in alpha keep updating and changing

if mageia 3 doesn't have at LEAST 3.7 I'm not interested

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
            well the alphas shouldn't be stable, they should be highly experiemental...
            It should be pretty easy to add a custom package which randomly corrupts memory so you get the unstable feel. In any case, Mageia alpha versions are meant to be usable and should ideally always be stable.

and this annoys me, ubuntu/fedora/mageia they pretty much lock the kernel down in the first alpha and they ride out until the final release

wtf?

lock your shit in the beta stage but while in alpha keep updating and changing

if mageia 3 doesn't have at LEAST 3.7 I'm not interested
            Mageia does not do what you assert it does. The kernel will likely be updated (cannot guarantee because I am not involved in that). Also related to 'lock your shit', I just updated GNOME to 3.6.1 (=loads of new packages), I also noticed new systemd, dbus, etc. Follow http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/, loads of packages every day (seems to indicate 365 over the last 48 hours, not everything is Mageia 3 stuff though).

Note that for the kernel, a 'linus' version is also available. It is untested, but available for those who want the latest and don't mind if it is not tested / doesn't boot. That one has 3.6.2 atm. Usually also updated to the various 'rc' versions.

Comment

Working...
            X