Intel's Linux Driver Continues To Be Most Popular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
    if we sum users of fglrx+radeon , it seems that AMD has the same market share as Nvidia.

Your assumption is completely wrong: most pc's are not used for gaming.
    In most cases, a discrete card is not needed.
    The same (even more) happen in Windows's world.
    And this, without taking into account that for instance, most laptops (on which Intel has the 90% of the market share) are shipped without discrete card, and there's nothing you can do about it.
    You didn't get my point at all. First of all i didn't assume anything just stated that IMHO acticle implied rise in the Intel chipset use among linux users which happen because it just has best driver
    However I proposed it could happen from number of other reasons and gave example that people do not use Linux for gaming (I could be wrong) in the numbers as before.
    It is more likely than your theory that many computers are used for different purposes or are laptops which may not have discrete cards. You forget there that plain desktop uses where present and Intel has been dominant in laptop market for ages. Not only that but Phoronix / Openbenchamrking Users/ Readers are here to get most out of their PC therefore use it for more then just writtting e-mails but in many cases are gamers /video encoders/video watchers/etc. whom need best card for their purposes and it is possible they could ven move away from Linux ergo are not benchmarking their machines in Openbenchamrking

Still I wish I am wrong

Comment

KDEs market share compared to Unity is low cause no distro that has marketing and glory in the media like Ubunto ships KDE by default.
      If there will be a distrubtion that does this, there will be much more users.

And what thought was "why no Arch in distro statistics".

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
        KDEs market share compared to Unity is low cause no distro that has marketing and glory in the media like Ubunto ships KDE by default..
        No. KDEs marketshare is low because KDE is crapware. Always has been always wil be. A few very vocal exnokians cant change that. They sure do can flame other desktops but they will eventual find better ways to spend their time. Like getting job at Jolla and redo what Nokia failed: A well patented close source phone.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          In real life only ignorants think that. There are lots of users on these forums with all the latest hardware out there running some sort of linux distro.
          even in this site, you get benchmark tests on crap low-end gpus and you talk about ignorants?
          say that to a guy who spent 500$ on a gpu and don't compare that guy with the one that have a 7660 or a 7770.
          my 500$ gpu(4870 x2) likes windows, because it got screwd driver-wise(no support). my next high-end card is going to run on windows only.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            KDEs market share compared to Unity is low cause no distro that has marketing and glory in the media like Ubunto ships KDE by default.
            If there will be a distrubtion that does this, there will be much more users.

And what thought was "why no Arch in distro statistics".
            I remembered back in the debian sid days when kde 4 arrived. everyone was exited, we were all stunned by the de.
            now everybody is just "meh" and uses xfce, gnome, lxde.

in kde 4 they have bugs that are 3 years old no wonder why too few people uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
              No. KDEs marketshare is low because KDE is crapware. Always has been always wil be. A few very vocal exnokians cant change that. They sure do can flame other desktops but they will eventual find better ways to spend their time. Like getting job at Jolla and redo what Nokia failed: A well patented close source phone.
              Never laughed like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                I remembered back in the debian sid days when kde 4 arrived. everyone was exited, we were all stunned by the de.
                now everybody is just "meh" and uses xfce, gnome, lxde.
                And know they swtiched back to KDE from Gnome after GNOME 3.x.
                in kde 4 they have bugs that are 3 years old no wonder why too few people uses it.
                Source?

Comment

Trolls are going to troll.

I have recently used two zenbooks. One at work runs Ubuntu with Unity on it. The one at home runs Debian with KDE on it. Ubuntu was easy to set up, Debian needed some tweaking.

The KDE one is a million times slicker, better and more stable. It's not even close. I respect everyone's right to run what they want and celebrate diversity, but people who CHOOSE to run Unity over KDE must be a bunch of masochists. Nothing makes sense on that desktop. I avoid using that computer whenever possible, it takes ages to figure out the simplest things.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorzard View Post
                    Not just, and not just personal computers running Linux.

But for graphics workstations and video game software Microsoft Windows is a better choice, or the only choice.
                    Funnily enough, except for playing games, Linux is fantastic for graphics work.
                    Go into the biggest animation studios and see what the actual workstations run.
                    Suprisingly, to me at least, it's not Macs that are used.

Comment

Well ivy bridge hd 4000 can run doom3 at full hd on linux (at least for single player it is fast enough), many other (simpler) games as well. However the drivers lack support for newer glsl levels so that games like rage do not run via wine. I would not expect that a gamer runs intel gfx on a desktop - but maybe he has got a laptop. It is definitely enough for some games but certainly not for new blockbuster titles which run on win only. But even there it is a bit slower than amd trinity chips. Interestingly speed did not improve much when going from mesa 8.0.4 to 9.0 - opengl 3 was advertised but doom3 for example did not run faster - using lower detail settings than ultra even show a rendering error.

Desktop users can easly buy a dedicated card - preferred nvidia - and play the games they miss, just laptop users have to wait...
                      Last edited by Kano; 14 October 2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X