The Performance Between GCC Optimization Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the article.

+1 to also providing the final binary sizes, would be interesting.

As for testing with -march=native, of course it should provide better results, but these benchmarks are very interesting also as a baseline for what you get if you are planning to distribute binaries.

Comment

What is used by distributions, e.g. Ubuntu

What is used by distributions, e.g. Ubuntu?

Do they differentiate between the different packages?

I hope this is not a dull question.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
        Thanks for the article.

+1 to also providing the final binary sizes, would be interesting.

As for testing with -march=native, of course it should provide better results, but these benchmarks are very interesting also as a baseline for what you get if you are planning to distribute binaries.
        That is why I suggested that these tests should have been both with and without -march=native.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
          I doubt a combination of carefully written C and handcrafted assembler is going to benefit very much from additional pseudo-smart Compiler heuristics...

Bob
          The idea that there is some universally correct hand-crafted C or assembler is just ridiculous today. Even different families of Intel's own CPUs need very different optimization strategies in order to maximize performance on that particular CPU. Then take into account the fact that Linux runs on dozens of different CPU architectures. Then remember that Linux is millions of lines of code and human beings are not capable of seeing or thinking about more than a tiny localized fraction of a large codebase at any given moment in time.

Comment

Working...
          X