Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Attempt To Push Ubuntu As A Gaming Platform

Hybrid View

Default An Attempt To Push Ubuntu As A Gaming Platform

Phoronix: An Attempt To Push Ubuntu As A Gaming Platform

At the Ubuntu Developer Summit later this month in Copenhagen, a number of gaming-related development sessions are scheduled as Ubuntu developers try to push their Linux distribution as a first-rate gaming platform...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwNTY

Default Low-jitter!

Well I have this thing called .. low-jitter kernel

Relay it to the ubuntu folks, I`m banned in their forum. I think I called someone gay or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
    Well I have this thing called .. low-jitter kernel

Relay it to the ubuntu folks, I`m banned in their forum. I think I called someone gay or something.
    Are you sure it wasn't for spamming?

Well those are killer feature for me. I just hope their improvements are not meant for Unity only; KDE/Kubuntu also get the resolution reset feature.

If they really make work on these points (especially on Unity), gaming or no, I think it'll be great.

so theres hardly gonna be wayland adoption due to focus on integration of binary drivers in the next few releases...
    I like that they take the issue seriously and that they dont want to dissappoint valves trust, though.
    i guess browsing through bug reports and listening to the forums and irc will have to get a much higher priority.
    I must say that i very much doubt that they will get their hands dirty on low level work.

Admirable goals, but good luck implementing them (especially, the library compatibility) without stagnating or forking so far from other Linux distros as to be a total outsider.

When multiarch is so important then i really think that steam is still 32 bit just like it was in august. That's really boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    When multiarch is so important then i really think that steam is still 32 bit just like it was in august. That's really boring...
    They said they're targeting 32-bit Ubuntu for the external beta... so you're probably right.

Default My Opinions

My personal opinions on each of Ubuntu's goals.

Audio Support: I agree fully with what they want to achieve in this area. I would really enjoy some 5.1 and 3D positional audio in my games instead of the normal stereo output. I want true 5.1 not mixed channel to a 5.1 setup.

Longevity of Binaries: This goal may be hard to achieve unless you have a set of sub directories dedicated to needed libs the games use. Or at least allow someone to recompile the games every 5-10yrs with the newer libs.

Graphics Support: I've been using Nvidia since the 4mb riva 128. I have owned pretty much at least one card from every generation of their chips. I don't think I will ever change unless something faster and better supported comes out for Linux.

Input devices support: This is a really interesting area. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a graphical config for things like the Razer Nostromo, Razer Naga and Razer Blackwidow? I game a lot on windows and as much as I can on Linux although I do have to reboot a lot.

Multi-Arch Libappindicator: I have no idea what this is as I have never used Ubuntu.

Process Clean-Up Actions: Umm, why would anyone have resolution restoration problems? Why are you not starting a second X Server to run your games in? That way you are not wasting gpu and cpu cycles rendering that opengl accelerated desktop behind the game.

Unity Performance: Umm... LOL? People use this?

Audio Latency: This is another interesting and sore spot for me in Linux. I honestly never had audio lag until Pulseaudio came into the picture. Or I at least never noticed audio lag in my every day tasks and gaming in Linux. I have always had multichannel sound output and input as, (I know I will be scoffed at for this but), I always use creative sound cards in Linux. I used my Audigy2zs for almost 8 to 9 years because onboard audio is ass and everyone knows it. They just don't want to admit it or care about audio enough to get a proper add on card that has hardware mixing support. I have since upgraded to a Creative X-FI titanium that also has hardware mixing support when we finally got the basic drivers in Linux for the card. There are plenty of other cards out there that have support for hardware mixing so from my point of view anyone that cares about gaming and audio in Linux will have a hardware mixing sound card wether it is from creative or not.
    Now, I honestly have tried my onboard audio chip, a Realtek 892 8 channel chip, on my Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo. The audio was fine but did not sound any better than what I had out of the X-Fi. With the onboard chip I needed Pulseaudio and this in turn caused a 1-6 second delay in my games audio. So obviously I went back to my X-Fi without Pulseaudio.

The audio issue alone originally made me go back to windows for an entire year in 2009 - 2010. Then I decided to just use Gentoo and do a -pulseaudio in my USE flags. I have been using Linux since 1998 and have never ever experienced audio assery until pulseaudio. Honestly as well, I constantly install and try every version of freeBSD just to see if it is where I want it to be just so I can try to get away from Linux audio issues. If steam works in freeBSD I will kiss the Linux audio problems goodbye once and for all. Until then, -pulseaudio all the way.

Ugg, my bad, it turned into a rant.