Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity KDE 3.5 Desktop Fork Sees New Release

Phoronix: Trinity KDE 3.5 Desktop Fork Sees New Release

For those Linux desktop users still not fond of KDE4 and preferring to stick it out with the vintage KDE 3.5 branch, the KDE 3.5 fork known as the Trinity Desktop has seen a new update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE 3.5 was great, but honestly I think it's time to switch to 4.x
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Trinity has decayed into a garbage patch of patches from everywhere, hacks, duplications (HAL running next to udev, dcop next to dbus, etc), all kwin 3.x themes were broken a while back, and there's this tqt thing that is really REALLY really slow.

It's brought to you by an "international team of developers" called Timothy Pearson.

Comment

Oh my god what a waste of man power. This is so wrong.

Comment

I'm still running Kde 3.5 from the OpenSuSE build service with no issues. Quick as a whip too.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
            Trinity has decayed into a garbage patch of patches from everywhere,
            I think it's pretty logical that patches were assembled from various places, After KDE4.0 came out, many distributions were still using kde3 while kde4 was stabilizing, and they came up with many patches to resolve the remaining issues in 3.5.10

hacks, duplications (HAL running next to udev, dcop next to dbus, etc),
            Hal running next to udev? You mean exactly like we did before hal got deprecated? Of course Trinity's development branch has progress in removing hal, and the next release should see the removal off much of the hal dependencies.

Also, udev does not come close to solving all of the issues that hal did. Udev only provides a very small amount of what hal was once able to do.

all kwin 3.x themes were broken a while back
            Oh no! Boohoo. Abi/api broke after how many releases? All this is required to make the kde3 themes work is being compiled with trinity.

and there's this tqt thing that is really REALLY really slow.
            I'm sorry do you have any empirical evidence? If not you can shove it.

What's your beef dude? let people do what they want. Obviously there is some demand for kde3, for whatever reason, and these few folks are spending their energy doing it. I didn't realize that it made you so angry.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              KDE 3.5 was great, but honestly I think it's time to switch to 4.x
              Most people already did. If it was different, TDE had more contributors. Even openSUSE?s KDE3 implementation, which is not TDE and may only have handpicked a few of TDE?s patches, is driven basically by a single guy.
              KDE 4.0 way have been a hickup from a user?s point of view but for programmers it got rid of unmaintainable spaghetti code and with 4.2 the quality became so good, even super conservative Debian adopted it.

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              Oh my god what a waste of man power. This is so wrong.
              No, it?s not wrong. He can do whatever he wants. I?d rather see him do his own thing rather than polluting other projects.

Originally posted by mutantturkey View Post
              I think it's pretty logical that patches were assembled from various places, After KDE4.0 came out, many distributions were still using kde3 while kde4 was stabilizing, and they came up with many patches to resolve the remaining issues in 3.5.10
              When KDE 4.0 was released, the latest 3.x version was 3.5.8. It was after 4.0 that 3.5.9 was released and it was after 4.1 that 3.5.10 was released. Both releases already contained the patches you?ve been referring to, including but not limited to merging the Kontact Enterprise branch (maintained by Intevation and KDAB for their commercial customers).

As I wrote: The version after that, 4.2, was adopted even by Debian.

Originally posted by mutantturkey View Post
              Oh no! Boohoo. Abi/api broke after how many releases? All this is required to make the kde3 themes work is being compiled with trinity.
              Well, Pearson acts as if TDE was the real successor to KDE3. He even continues the version numbering and if TDE was the real successor and matches the version numbers, he should stick to the binary compatibility promise that all major KDE/SC releases have.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                No, it?s not wrong. He can do whatever he wants. I?d rather see him do his own thing rather than polluting other projects.
                Yes, and how does his work contribute to a better future in the Linux ecosystem? Please give me a good detailed summary on your points.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  Yes, and how does his work contribute to a better future in the Linux ecosystem? Please give me a good detailed summary on your points.
                  Seems you are completely unable to read properly. When you ask stupid questions, next time make sure the quoted part does not already answer your stupid question.
                  Seriously what part of ?He can do whatever he wants? didn?t you understand? Since when are hobbies supposed to ?contribute to a better future in the Linux ecosystem?? You do not have any authority to decide on which hobby he spends his own personal time! It?s his life and if you don?t like TDE, just don?t use it and learn respect other people?s freedom. (If you can?t, STFU and move to North Korea!)

Comment

smells like stability

KDE 3.5 has been receiving bug fixes and patches since its release in 2005. If it keeps getting updated/patched then its in its way to become one hell of a stable/extremely well tested DE.

One thumbs up for stability.

Comment

Working...
                    X