Linux Developers Still Reject NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gigetto96 View Post
    The problem is OpenGL itself : the reference implementation of OpenGL drivers IS CLOSED. Anybody who wants to develop a real OpenGL driver, looks at that reference code, and IS FORCED TO MAKE A CLOSED DRIVER.

STOP with stupid hate against NVIDIA.
    It is not a fault of NVIDIA, if they wanted to develop an official OpenGL driver. Do you want an open source driver? Ok, but it will be a Mesa driver, programmed by people who had not access to the OpenGL reference code, and it will be slow and shitty like other current open source driver.

So the bad guys are not the NVIDIA guys, but the KRONOS group, who keep CLOSED the ironically named OpenGL...
    If Kronos group decided to open for real the OpenGL, we could have excellent drivers for Linux.

I am personally fed up of reading every week these discussions...

OK agent, I'm this close to $#@! you. The entire page of comments is irrelevant and wrong because are based to you comment that is also wrong. The reference implementation of OpenGL drivers IS OPEN. Anybody is welcome to look at the reference code (there is not actual code, just some precode = how it works + standards for binary compatibility), without the need to Open or Close anything. Its Nvidias fault and AMDs also: With HD5000 AMD it self said that they will try with HD8000 to have only Open drivers. Fuck both. If only i wasn't gamer!

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      The hardware is lacking.

I think you should take a look at the sale numbers of triple-A, graphically demanding titles over the years. How is that a "a small portion?"

And? Where in the GPL's text is a distinction made between kernel and user space?

Unless I missed the news, NVidia did not release a driver that uses DMABUF. If you've seen one, then yes, it would be a figment of your imagination.

I can use my hardware just fine. NVidia provides me with a working driver and good customer support. I gave them my money, so that's what I expected from them. AMD on the other hand, took my money, gave me no working driver and no good support. Instead, they tell me how they gave me a bunch of useless source code. What am I supposed to do with that? Write the drivers myself? I paid them so that they give me finished, well working drivers.

NVidia did that, AMD didn't. IMO, AMD is doing the immoral thing here, not NVidia. NVidia seems to respect their paying customers.

I don't care about licenses. I care that the products I buy with my money are working.

The GPL does not make a distinction between user and kernelspace.

NVidia doesn't request special treatment. They request fair treatment.

NVidia does not want to use open code in their drivers. Where did you see that? What they need is to communicate with the kernel.

Again: The GPL does not know what a "kernel" is. There's no distinction between a proprietary userspace program using a glibc API, and a proprietary driver using a kernel API.

Nvidia does want to use the entire GPL with their next fusion product. They even have their own Linux distribution inside their labs.

Comment

• ricer gamers? ricer machines? Yes, we know PC gaming is big in Korea and Japan, but is the racism really needed?

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          And? Where in the GPL's text is a distinction made between kernel and user space?
          It's in the first paragraph of the (modified) GPL license at the top of the Linux kernel source code tree :

NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
          services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
          of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".

Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
          Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
          kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
          is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not
          v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.

Linus Torvalds

Originally posted by artivision View Post
          With HD5000 AMD it self said that they will try with HD8000 to have only Open drivers.
          "Citation needed"

What we said was that with HD8000 we would try to have open source driver support at launch time. Nothing about eliminating Catalyst support.
          Last edited by bridgman; 14 October 2012, 10:53 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by boast View Post
            ricer gamers? ricer machines? Yes, we know PC gaming is big in Korea and Japan, but is the racism really needed?
            Let that joker rant all he wants.

Apparently he's so stuck in his little fantasy world of 'just enough' that he doesn not even know what the REAL gamers and enthusiasts over in Windows land are doing.

Y'know, the real fun things like water cooling, vBIOS moding/flashing, GPU core overclocking, CPU overclocking, memory clock modifications, etc etc just so that they can squeeze out an additional 10fps to run their games on Ultra settings, 16x MSAA, AA features, PhyX enabled, with advanced DX 11 enhancements such as tesselation and so on on a 5-monitor setup for the sheer experience that the game is capable of offering.

Things that Linux will never ever get to see, period, because everybody there is only interested in playing their games at 1024 x 768 with a shoddy driver delivering only 50fps at Low settings with every enhancement turned off.

Nouveau surpassing Nvidia's blob in performance? Sure...in another 20 years perhaps.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 14 October 2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              It's in the first paragraph of the (modified) GPL license at the top of the Linux kernel source code tree :

"Citation needed"

What we said was that with HD8000 we would try to have open source driver support at launch time. Nothing about eliminating Catalyst support.

And you also said that will be on par with catalyst. You actually lie to as for 40th time, make as believe that we will able to replace catalyst. You always do the same since radeonX1950 with a face GPGPU promise.

Comment

• Fake and fake.

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  And you also said that will be on par with catalyst.
                  You actually lie to as for 40th time, make as believe that we will able to replace catalyst. You always do the same since radeonX1950 with a face GPGPU promise.
                  I don't think we said either of those things.

Fake and fake.
                  That's better. Thanks !
                  Last edited by bridgman; 14 October 2012, 11:01 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Let that joker rant all he wants.

Apparently he's so stuck in his little fantasy world of 'just enough' that he doesn not even know what the REAL gamers and enthusiasts over in Windows land are doing.

Y'know, the real fun things like water cooling, vBIOS moding/flashing, GPU core overclocking, CPU overclocking, memory clock modifications, etc etc just so that they can squeeze out an additional 10fps to run their games on Ultra settings, 16x MSAA, AA features, PhyX enabled, with advanced DX 11 enhancements such as tesselation and so on on a 5-monitor setup for the sheer experience that the game is capable of offering.

Things that Linux will never ever get to see, period, because everybody there is only interested in playing their games at 1024 x 768 with a shoddy driver delivering only 50fps at Low settings with every enhancement turned off.

Nouveau surpassing Nvidia's blob in performance? Sure...in another 20 years perhaps.
                    Forgot ironit tag?

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
                      And you also said that will be on par with catalyst. You actually lie to as for 40th time, make as believe that we will able to replace catalyst. You always do the same since radeonX1950 with a face GPGPU promise.
                      That's your own problem for reading too deep into a simple comment.

He only said that they hope to have launch day support with the open radeon driver when HD8xxx is released. NOTHING about replacing Catalyst anywhere. The idea that the radeon driver can replace Catalust is just what YOU wanted it to be and was never ever mentioned anywhere by Bridgman.

Comment

Working...
                      X