Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

295 is just without buffers+pagecache, but it still includes slab cache.
    Code:
    #as root:
    sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches && free
    Will give you the right value.

Side note: 64bit gives an average of 20% more.

Comment

All of those memory consumption figures are leaving me asking "Just what Ubuntu?" All of those memory values are much much higher than I've seen in Fedora, openSUSE and Slackware of the DEs I've played around with.

Comment

KDE boot/login speed

has sped up considerably with the 4.9 release. Martin Graesslin has been successful with his personal goal of making the login speed faster, and I hope he keeps it up.

I haven’t been blogging about KWin for quite some time, so it’s way time to write what I recently worked on for KWin. The big topic of the work of the last two weeks is improving the st…

IMHO, the login speed of KDE is it's last big problem. Sure, there are plenty of new features that could/should be added, but none nearly as important. And as to KDE memory usage, when your software does more and has more features built in, the realistic effect is that more memory gets used. Though this 1.4GB of memory usage figure is crazy. That's a Kubuntu problem, not a KDE problem. My usage is just under 500MB.

Those of you who complain about bugs need to file bug reports. They do get fixed. If yours aren't getting fixed, you need to offer more usable information. This is a PEBKAC issue, not a KDE issue.
        Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 10 October 2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
          295 is just without buffers+pagecache, but it still includes slab cache.
          Code:
          #as root:
          sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches && free
          Will give you the right value.

Side note: 64bit gives an average of 20% more.
          In that case, I get:

Code:
                       total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
          Mem:         16003        386      15616          0          0         95
          -/+ buffers/cache:        290      15712
          Swap:        24576          0      24576
          I'm on 64-bit of course.

Comment

Automatic Bug Reporting Tool

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

Bug reports should be a breeze for anybody.

If your distribution doesn't have something like this(and this is not anything new) then what you need to do is go to http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#desktops

Complaining about bugs is annoying and a waste of time. Get a distribution that makes this easy and useful. Ubuntu also has such a feature, Apport. In addition, GNOME has a program called Bug Buddy, and KDE has it's program, Dr. Konqi.

Here's Apport:

Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 10 October 2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
              has sped up considerably with the 4.9 release. Martin Graesslin has been successful with his personal goal of making the login speed faster, and I hope he keeps it up.

I haven’t been blogging about KWin for quite some time, so it’s way time to write what I recently worked on for KWin. The big topic of the work of the last two weeks is improving the st…
              Ha, I was wondering why he used KDE 4.8.x in Oct '12.

Comment

You want some numbers? Have some numbers!

Some rather unscientific tests completed by launching various DEs from first start-up on an updated Fedora 16 system:

Blackbox 0.70.1:

LXDE 0.5.5:

Xfce 4.8:

Note that pnmixer is automatically launched for me upon logging into either LXDE or Xfce, and so is Desurium, although in both instances I closed it before checking the memory usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Credomane View Post
                  KDE is way too slow for my tastes and the keverything drives me nuts. Yes, I know, Gnome does this to an extend too but not for everything. This is the same reason I despise Apple's naming scheme. iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhail, iTunes, iCloud and iEverything.
                  Dolphin, Okular, Calligra, Amarok, Gwenview, digiKam (?), Marble, Ark?

Comment

Originally posted by Credomane View Post
                    KDE is way too slow for my tastes and the keverything drives me nuts. Yes, I know, Gnome does this to an extend too but not for everything.
                    Neither has KDE for about 5 years now. In fact pretty much nothing new in KDE 4 uses the scheme. Plasma, solid, phonon, dolphin, activities, nepomuk, strigi, akonadi, okular, marble, reqkonq, etc. Several games had to be renamed for trademark reasons, and they all removed the k__ prefix. KOffice was renamed to Calligra (I know, technically it was a split but pretty much everyone went with Calligra and KOffice appears to be dead). The use of the k_ prefix is now strongly discouraged for new KDE projects.

Comment

Yeah, see your Fedora XFCE memory usage is only 200+ MB. The Ubuntu memory usage in the shootout is over 900MB.

Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                      X