AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wired View Post
    Try installing the driver through ATI's setup system (run the file without parameters). That worked for me when I couldn't build the packages for debian.
    My bad...i should've explained better....actually, the basic automatic installation worked...well, sort of...
    After installation, my screen resolution was as it is supposed to be...recovered from the ridiculous previous driver release resolution bug...but when i tried to enable "Desktop Effects", it didn't work...plus livna-config-display doesn't seem to be able to detect the installed fglrx driver...so i figured if i tried to build a package specific driver, it might work...whadya think?

I'm a newbie to linux and the whole driver tweaking thing...i would really appreciate some advise from you guru's...
    Last edited by musicbrio; 23 January 2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by musicbrio View Post
      My bad...i should've explained better....actually, the basic automatic installation worked...well, sort of...
      After installation, my screen resolution was as it is supposed to be...recovered from the ridiculous previous driver release resolution bug...but when i tried to enable "Desktop Effects", it didn't work...plus livna-config-display doesn't seem to be able to detect the installed fglrx driver...so i figured if i tried to build a package specific driver, it might work...whadya think?

I'm a newbie to linux and the whole driver tweaking thing...i would really appreciate some advise from you guru's...
      There shouldn't be a difference between automatic installation and package installation. They both end up the same, assuming they both work properly.

By Desktop Effects I assume you mean AIGLX & Compiz / Beryl. Unfortunately not all ATI cards support this, even with the latest fglrx driver...

For example my card ( 9600 pro mobility ) doesn't Fglrx works (kind-of) but compiz fails because I'm missing a glx extension.

If you have an older card like me and would like desktop effects you can use the opensource radeon driver. It works pretty well (even does 3d) but lacks in performance. For example you can't play HD video w/ it...

Simply put, ATI is a pain in the ars to use in linux, whether we like it or not...

Comment

• If you have an older card like me and would like desktop effects you can use the opensource radeon driver. It works pretty well (even does 3d) but lacks in performance. For example you can't play HD video w/ it...
        why not? maybe the clips i watched on my good old x300se were not "hd enough" ?

Simply put, ATI is a pain in the ars to use in linux, whether we like it or not...
        fglrx drivers - yes. hardware - not always :]

Comment

• Originally posted by atippett View Post
          Can you post your xorg.conf file. Please
          I'm working on rebuilding my kernel and modules, so I'll post it after I'm done, and sure everything is working. There's nothing special to it though. It's just the default config after running aticonfig --initial.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            why not? maybe the clips i watched on my good old x300se were not "hd enough" ?
            My 9600 Pro couldn't handle a (downscaled to 1400x1050) 1020p video using the opensource driver. Played fine with fglrx.

fglrx drivers - yes. hardware - not always :]
            True, but drivers make the hardware work and they suck. Big time. I've been a big fan of ATI for years, but I can't neglect the huge gap between their linux driver's and their rival's.

Comment

• I don't think that you need fglrx to downscale a video. What kind of compression did it use? Are you sure you used xv?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                I don't think that you need fglrx to downscale a video. What kind of compression did it use? Are you sure you used xv?
                It was WMV (the EVE Trinity 1920x1080 trailer).

worked perfectly well under fglrx (7.11 at that time if I remember correctly),

worked like crap w/ radeon - which I believe I had configured properly.

Comment

• Well the 2d bug slugishness over time has been confirmed... what can we expect from a company that does not even have a good 2d driver? come on ATI/AMD stop wasting our time... and hire some testers too, because we are not your alpha testers, we are your customers!! and we demand drivers that at least are able to do some 2d rendering...

Comment

• Originally posted by linzerd View Post
                    Well the 2d bug slugishness over time has been confirmed... what can we expect from a company that does not even have a good 2d driver? come on ATI/AMD stop wasting our time... and hire some testers too, because we are not your alpha testers, we are your customers!! and we demand drivers that at least are able to do some 2d rendering...
                    Do you have a link to the bug confirmation?

Comment

• Do you believe it? BUG Number 7? WTF? It has been there since 2005-01-17... people complains about slow 2d rendering, and ATI has slapped our faces...

Comment

Working...
                      X