No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lockup issue textured video workaround helped !

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Can you try turning off Textured Video ? It shouldn't make a difference, but we have at least one report that mentioned it.

This obviously isn't a good workaround for you, since it *will* impact your xv playback, but it would be good to know if that makes a difference with the lockup.
    Thanx bridgman, this helped me, I was suffering from the lockup issue before aplying this workaround.

Comment

• Section "Device"
      Identifier "ATI RADEON X1400"
      Driver "fglrx"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
      Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
      # Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
      # Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
      EndSection
      try setting to off both the overlays and see what happens in xine when using xv or opengl. see which is faster and usable (remember that 2d-tex-fragprog probably wouldn't print osds in xine and just 2d-tex does).

Comment

• Could anyone having suspend2(ram|disk) working, tell if this has been out of the box or after manual fiddling?

I have a T60 ThinkPad with a X1400 Mobility running Kubuntu Gutsy.
        Suspend works fine with any kernel - as long as I don't have the 'fglrx' module loaded.

Even with 8.01 it doesn't work with the distro kernel (2.6.22-14) or any manually compiled (2.6.23.14 with SLUB or with SLAB allocator).
        The system is shut down correctly but after turning it on again i get a black screen..

Any ideas/hints?

Comment

• Nice to see that they are focussing on removing the bug. Because, as sombody already say i do not care, for the moment, for *new* capabilty. All I want is a driver wich I could consider as Functional.

For the moment I'll stick with the old code base driver because I am a heavy user of dual-head. So as long as the dual-head bug is not resolved I will not even try *new* driver. (I did try the 7.12 though.)

But If this continue I can hope to try it in less than 6 month, I hope ;-)

Good job and keep it up!

Comment

• Originally posted by seezer View Post
            Could anyone having suspend2(ram|disk) working, tell if this has been out of the box or after manual fiddling?

I have a T60 ThinkPad with a X1400 Mobility running Kubuntu Gutsy.
            Suspend works fine with any kernel - as long as I don't have the 'fglrx' module loaded.

Even with 8.01 it doesn't work with the distro kernel (2.6.22-14) or any manually compiled (2.6.23.14 with SLUB or with SLAB allocator).
            The system is shut down correctly but after turning it on again i get a black screen..

Any ideas/hints?
            I got it working with 2.6.23.14 vanilla and SLAB allocator.

Going to try the SLUB allocator now.
            [Update: SLUB working too]

The trick:
            in /etc/default/acpi-support set

SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
            POST_VIDEO=false
            Last edited by seezer; 20 January 2008, 10:55 AM. Reason: slub is also working

Comment

• The new version of the fglrx works quite fine for me. I'm running Debian unstable. Just upgrade with apt-get upgrade fglrx-driver and using module-assistant. Restart gdm X works.
              I don't suppose Xv will work but GL2 in mplayer will have to do.

I have a resolution of 1440x900 back on my Dell Inspiron 1721 back.
              Also native amd64 OpenGL games work, like chromium and wormux.

On the other hand do have 2 other problems.

The biggest problems lies with wine. I guess that it can't find the required libraries.

Using winecfg results in the following error.
              breetai@lappy:~$ winecfg
              wine: creating configuration directory '/home/breetai/.wine'...
              X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
              Major opcode of failed request: 162 (GLX)
              Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
              Serial number of failed request: 18
              Current serial number in output stream: 18

running fgl_glxgears results in the following error:
              breetai@lappy:~$ fgl_glxgears
              Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
              X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
              Major opcode of failed request: 162 (GLX)
              Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
              Serial number of failed request: 41
              Current serial number in output stream: 42
              breetai@lappy:~$

Using fgl_glxgears -fbo does work.

Comment

• Good driver release from ATI, but after some time with the computer on 2d rendering becomes choppy... I dont know what to do fix it, BTW firefox scrolling is REALLY slow.... if someone has this problem too please post it to find a solution... Please help.... I have an ATI radeon X1300 running in ubuntu Feisty

Comment

• Originally posted by linzerd View Post
                  BTW firefox scrolling is REALLY slow.... if someone has this problem too please post it to find a solution... Please help.... I have an ATI radeon X1300 running in ubuntu Feisty
                  Look here

-Firefox scolling is definitly better with this option switched on.

-In addition, turn off the firefox-option smooth scrolling.

Both worked for me.

Comment

• OK, I've got Mobility Radeon X700 with 256M, with the 8.443 I had
                    glxgears: ~4500 FPS;
                    fgl_glxgears: ~930 FPS.
                    After today's update to 8.45, I've got
                    glxgears: ~630 FPS;
                    fgl_glxgears: segfault.
                    Direct rendering is also gone.
                    No changes in xorg.conf whatsoever.

Few of the more interesting lines from my Xorg.0.log:
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    (--) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kByte, Type: DDR1
                    (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected
                    (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
                    (**) fglrx(0): ATI GART size: 256 MB
                    (EE) fglrx(0): [pcie] Failed to gather memory of size 262144Kb for PCIe. Error (-1000)
                    (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
                    Before You ask, I'm running Fedora 8 with 2.6.23.9-85.fc8
                    I also run metacity 2.21.5, but that worked fine with 8.443
                    Scrolling in Firefox is OK, but I run 3.0b2
                    However, scrolling in mcedit is terrible, let alone minimizing and maximizing windows. Moving windows around also takes *ages*.
                    Please help!

Comment

• Originally posted by buskfaus View Post
                      OK, I've got Mobility Radeon X700 with 256M, with the 8.443 I had
                      glxgears: ~4500 FPS;
                      fgl_glxgears: ~930 FPS.
                      After today's update to 8.45, I've got
                      glxgears: ~630 FPS;
                      fgl_glxgears: segfault.
                      Direct rendering is also gone.
                      No changes in xorg.conf whatsoever.

Few of the more interesting lines from my Xorg.0.log:
                      (--) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kByte, Type: DDR1
                      (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected
                      (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
                      (**) fglrx(0): ATI GART size: 256 MB
                      (EE) fglrx(0): [pcie] Failed to gather memory of size 262144Kb for PCIe. Error (-1000)
                      (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
                      Before You ask, I'm running Fedora 8 with 2.6.23.9-85.fc8
                      I also run metacity 2.21.5, but that worked fine with 8.443
                      Scrolling in Firefox is OK, but I run 3.0b2
                      However, scrolling in mcedit is terrible, let alone minimizing and maximizing windows. Moving windows around also takes *ages*.
                      Please help!
                      you seem to have some problem with the drm and agpgart modules. the reason why your fps dropped down is that you don't have direct rendering enabled anymore. so the fps are sw rendered at about 700fps by the processor. try to see if your agpgart and drm modules are set into the kernel and are loaded at xorg start.

Comment

Working...
                      X