No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Custom mode lines in xorg.conf will no longer be ignored by the fglrx driver"

Extra funny, because as soon as I use one or more I get:

Code:
    (II) fglrx(0): Ranges: V min: 50  V max: 160 Hz, H min: 30  H max: 95 kHz,
    (II) fglrx(0): End of Display1 EDID data --------------------
    (WW) fglrx(0): Only one display is connnected,so single mode is enabled
    (II) fglrx(0): Primary Controller - CRT on secondary DAC
    (II) fglrx(0): Internal Desktop Setting: 0x00000001
    (II) fglrx(0): POWERplay version 3.  1 power state available:
    (II) fglrx(0):   1. 398/250MHz @ 0Hz [enable load balancing]

Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x84) [0x80c43e4]
    1: [0xb7f82420]
    2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so [0xb7a275cb]
    3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so(DALCWDDE+0x1a2) [0xb7a25d52]
    4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so(swlDalHelperAddCustomizeMode+0x1ef) [0xb79807df]
    5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so(atiddxPreInit+0xab9) [0xb79584e9]
    6: /usr/bin/X(InitOutput+0x9e4) [0x80a0594]
    7: /usr/bin/X(main+0x276) [0x806e4a6]
    8: /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xc8) [0xb7d85ea8]
    9: /usr/bin/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0xa5) [0x806d9f1]

Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
    Xorg 7.1.1 from Debian Etch (or Kanotix)

Comment

AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

AMD has today released the 8.01 Linux Catalyst package, which contains the fglrx 8.45 driver. New in this release are updated packaging scripts and a few fixes, which many have been hopeful for in this release. Compared to our usual Linux driver articles, this one is a bit shorter due to the KDE 4.0 release event going on at the Googleplex, which we are in the process of covering.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Damage report:

- Starting X with the kernel module, results in X11 failing to start because of a segfault. So I have no 3D, but I can live with that, because I didn't use that anyway. Just to bad for AIGLX.

- Starting KDE4.0 fails, I'm stuck with a black screen. Killing the X-server is possible however.

Comment

Anyone got a gentoo ebuild yet? As for maintence release this one is a lot better than 8.43 i think that was 7.11 idk it was the version right after 8.42 which had a few very useless fixes. Least this one has meaningful ones. lol

Comment

I don't mind to wait for features or bug fixes, but I want to know what to expect.
            I want to be able to decide now what to do.
            ATI doesn't deserve a penny for leaving their users in such darkness.

Disgusting.

AMD have all my respect and I would like to thank M. Bridgman for his work.
            But how can we come to this point ? Releasing for more than 6 months useless drivers for some type of card ?

Hmm, maybe I am bit too hard, there was christmas holydays, they surely didn't have time to work on anything.
            Last edited by lucky_; 18 January 2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Works on Mobility X1300

3D works for me with 1680x1050 on my Laptop (T60, Mobility X1300, OpenSUSE 10.3). That's good!

But on the downside, apparently 2D is FAR slower than with 8.40, redrawing windows after moving them takes considerably longer than with the old release. Since I use 3D only occasionally, I'll have to go back to the old driver.

I'll save myself (and you) the rant about ATI not being able to release proper drivers, but instead hope that this time it's because all developers are busy preparing the documentation dump which will eventually enable accelerated 2D and 3D in the open source driver

hope springs eternal.

--- Edit:
              The 2D slowness problem has gone away after a few reboots. So no rants over ATI devs anymore And if they manage to support XRandr properly, I'll praise them in every possible way!
              Last edited by shamooki; 18 January 2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

ugh

I haven't even installed it yet and I'm already disappointed. I guess that means I once again allowed my sunny optimism to get the better of me. At least they fixed the 1680x1050... right?

Comment

I even can't hope this, since v3200 are yet out of documentation scope.

Comment

Hope springs eternal

Originally posted by benwick View Post
                    I haven't even installed it yet and I'm already disappointed. I guess that means I once again allowed my sunny optimism to get the better of me. At least they fixed the 1680x1050... right?
                    Actually (in response to my own skepticism) I just noticed that the known issues (as of 7.12 actually) finally mentions the blockiness and diagonal tearing in Xv video. So somebody noticed -- now I can retain hope, since they've been so focused on bugfixes. {I don't need new features, I need the old features to work.}

Comment

lol, same deal, same deal..
                      When I bought my mobo with a built-in ATI, I bought it for the open source drivers

Comment

Working...
                      X