No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build fails on Fedora 8 (unpackaged file)

Just downloaded it and tried to build it with:
    $ sh ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Fedora/F8

All goes well except that the spec file is missing an installed package:

RPM build errors:
    Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
    /usr/sbin/amdnotifyui

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Update:

Here's a little bit of progress
    1) extract the files from ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run to a directory
    $ sh ./ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run --extract tmp
    $ cd tmp

2) go to the Fedora dir in the packages dir
    $ cd packages/Fedora

3) open ATI-fglrx.spec-tmpl with an editor, go to the section that starts with %files (line 259) and add %{_sbindir}/amdnotifyui below %{_sbindir}/atieventsd

Now when I go to the root directory (tmp) and try ./ati-installer.sh --buildpkg Fedora/F8 it always returns some help information instead of building the packages.

Anyone know how to make ati-installer.sh build packages?
    Last edited by lowlands; 18 January 2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Compxpert View Post
      Anyone got a gentoo ebuild yet? As for maintence release this one is a lot better than 8.43 i think that was 7.11 idk it was the version right after 8.42 which had a few very useless fixes. Least this one has meaningful ones. lol

well, if ati-drivers-8.45 will be added today to portage, then gentoo users would get a lot of new packages since kde4.0.0 also has hit portage official today. as for the ebuild, you can modify it manually from the 8.443 one. but i'm sure that it will hit portage soon (today or tomorrow).

Comment

I am using a Thinkpad T60 with a X1400 under OpenSuSE 10.3 (Kernel 2.6.22-13).
        My first attempt to start the X server with my previous xorg configuration was unsuccessful. X11 came up, the fglrx module was loaded but not used and no 3D. After an aticonfig --initial -f everything came up without a problem.

Good:
        I am using a 1400x1050 screen. I works!
        XV works with mplayer, xine and Skype-Beta with a webcam.
        Suspend/Resume works! (even faster than with the older releases)

Strange:
        When I start the ccc i get the following errors:
        kernel: [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x0000000e not found in mutex list
        kernel: [fglrx:firegl_free_mutex] *ERROR* mutex id 0x0000000f not found in mutex list

I think this error can be ignored as CCC comes up without a problem. Trying to free something is always OK :-)

Conclusion:
        After one hour testing with different applications and some suspend/resume cycles, my ATI depression slowly turns into optimism...

Comment

In this system:
          Ubuntu 7.10 amd64
          x1800xl 256mb

It works just fine. AIGLX also works.

I just hope that they fix the "xV" related issues pretty soon because I hate that my videoplayback is not as good as in WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by SledgeHammer_999 View Post
            I just hope that they fix the "xV" related issues pretty soon because I hate that my videoplayback is not as good as in WinXP.
            I agree, and if they fix that I will never have to upgrade the driver again

Comment

Originally posted by shamooki View Post
              But on the downside, apparently 2D is FAR slower than with 8.40, redrawing windows after moving them takes considerably longer than with the old release. Since I use 3D only occasionally, I'll have to go back to the old driver.
              Are you using Compiz on the new drivers, or are you saying that 2d is slower on Cat 8.01 than on v8.40 with both drivers being used the same way ?

Are you using EXA or XAA acceleration ?

Originally posted by gmplague View Post
              this sucks... i have dual 1440x900 monitors, (which is, i think, a far more common setup than 1680x1050), and was broken with the last release despite no mention in the bug reports. 1440/32 = 22.5, so I guess I'm out of luck. If anyone wants to buy a Radeon 2600 XT HD from me, so that i can buy nvidia, PM me.
              Running at 1440x900 on an HD2600 should not be affected by the 64-pixel issue -- AFAIK that is only with the workstation code paths which only kick in on FireGL hardware. This is based on my reading of the release notes though. Have you actually encountered the problem or are you also going from the release notes ?
              Last edited by bridgman; 18 January 2008, 12:31 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by hotchili View Post
                I am using a Thinkpad T60 with a X1400 [...] my ATI depression slowly turns into optimism...
                Lucky for you. I have a T60p with a V5250 and 3D is corrupted...

So, no optimism for me. AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post
                  Just downloaded it and tried to build it with:
                  $ sh ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Fedora/F8

All goes well except that the spec file is missing an installed package:

RPM build errors:
                  Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
                  /usr/sbin/amdnotifyui

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Update:

Here's a little bit of progress
                  1) extract the files from ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run to a directory
                  $ sh ./ati-driver-installer-8-01-x86.x86_64.run --extract tmp
                  $ cd tmp

2) go to the Fedora dir in the packages dir
                  $ cd packages/Fedora

3) open ATI-fglrx.spec-tmpl with an editor, go to the section that starts with %files (line 259) and add %{_sbindir}/amdnotifyui below %{_sbindir}/atieventsd

Now when I go to the root directory (tmp) and try ./ati-installer.sh --buildpkg Fedora/F8 it always returns some help information instead of building the packages.

Anyone know how to make ati-installer.sh build packages?
                  Same problem here. It looks like Fedora support is pispoor in this release. Hopefully phorogit will be updated to make a working packaging script for Fedora 8.

Using your trick of adding that to the file list I got the rpms generated.
                  Last edited by koolmanoncampus; 18 January 2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Welps! I recently built a new system with a new ati hd3870 pci-express video card. The 7.12 drivers seemed to work alright except that I couldn't enable 3d-effects which to me is not a big deal but dragging windows around the screen causes slowdowns. CPU usage would spike up and there would be a delay before the windows underneath the one I'm dragging around would get redrawn. If I drag a window around the screen fast enough than it would become corrupted until I stop. After a split second it would get correctly redrawn.
                    Beyond that, everything else *seems* to be working correctly.

By the way, my method of installation was to create the individual packages from ATI's installer and use 'aticonfig' to generate a new xorg.conf. I'm also running Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy 32bit.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Are you using Compiz on the new drivers, or are you saying that 2d is slower on Cat 8.01 than on v8.40 with both drivers being used the same way ?

Are you using EXA or XAA acceleration ?

Running at 1440x900 on an HD2600 should not be affected by the 64-pixel issue -- AFAIK that is only with the workstation code paths which only kick in on FireGL hardware. This is based on my reading of the release notes though. Have you actually encountered the problem or are you also going from the release notes ?
                      Nope, going off release notes.. at work right now, will try when I get home. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                      X