KDE's KWin Gears Up To Advance At Faster Pace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    What KDE needs right now is a year of no new features but bugfixes and stabilization. That won't happen, of course.
    KDE routinely has releases that are focused on stabilization and bugfixes. The problem is that when they do that, users complain about the lack of new features. I have seen people complain that KDE does not do enough bug fixing and complain that KDE just had a release without enough new features in the same post.

Perhaps if developers got more positive feedback when they did stabilization-focused releases they might be more inclined to do more, but they seem to get nothing but complaints when they do that.

On top of that, the people who complain loudest about all the bugs in KDE also seem to be the ones who think it is a waste of time reporting bugs on bugzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnet View Post
      Martin Groblin
      ROFL

It's Gr??lin or, if you don't have a German layout installed, Graesslin.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
        uh-huh, especially amazing is how it's 4.9.2 now, and it's still doesn't have feature-parity with 3.X in multi-monitor department.
        and even then it wasn't ideal, now, with things like KMS, DMA-BUF, "DRI3", Wayland and X-independent Mesa acceleration techniques, there are even more possibilities... but even 5-10 year old ones are not properly supported.
        Anything in particular? I don't use multiple monitors too often, but when I did, it worked pretty much ok with two monitors having different resolutions.

ah, and don't get me started on slow-ass useless glitchy ugly crap of nepomuk/akonadi with their MySQL requirement and idea of file-indexers in general (i already have logical file order in a file-system, fuck off from my HDD and CPU, please !).
        at least now they starting to use things like Telepathy and Gstreamer. guess someone tired of fucking around.
        Besides working fine with SSDs (I know, not everybody has them), you do realize Nepomuk is just a service and as such it can be, brace for it, disabled.

Comment

ah, and don't get me started on slow-ass useless glitchy ugly crap of nepomuk/akonadi with their MySQL requirement and idea of file-indexers in general (i already have logical file order in a file-system, fuck off from my HDD and CPU, please !).
          at least now they starting to use things like Telepathy and Gstreamer. guess someone tired of fucking around.
          Nepomuk works great. At least much better than the other Linux equivalent I have tried. The nepumuk tagging and indexing is very usable, and it give every application that use it a decent and search functionality with sharable data.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Anything in particular? I don't use multiple monitors too often, but when I did, it worked pretty much ok with two monitors having different resolutions.
            The multi monitor support don't read the EDID information from the monitor. Because of this you can not save settings for a specific monitor. The other problem is that plasma don't handle a switch from more to fewer monitors with much grace. If you don't use to many plasmoids this is not a problem.
            But this is worked on as I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
              The multi monitor support don't read the EDID information from the monitor. Because of this you can not save settings for a specific monitor.
              I think is is actually by design, since KDE seems to be centered around workspaces now.
              Anyway, I've been using KDE 4 since 4.0. With about a 2y hiatus, mostly at work. So you can understand my confusion when people go around complaining the KDE is inferior or buggy. Sure, a few releases have been a bit problematic, but nothing I couldn't work around. A bug is not critical just because it happens to affect you.

Comment

Its great that you have logical order to the file system but not everyone does, and even the people who do its easier to just hit alt-f2 and start typing the name of the file you want than pull up dolphin and start going through folders.

Slow-ass? really? I just give Nepomuk 512mbs of RAM in settings and forget about it. Its high enough that Nepo never uses that much, and can index at its maximum speed. Can't really call Nepomuk or Akondi ugly since they dont have a GUI... its all backend.

MySQL is a bit much of a dependency, I wish they'd switch it out for SQlite but thats just me *shrugs*

Originally posted by dfx.
                "fucking around" is a bit much for Kopete vs Telepathy, and plain just wrong for Gstreamer. I'm glad to see Telepathy-KDE is coming along nicely, Kopete was never really my favorite application and the desktop integration is awesome. GStreamer...I cant even imagine what you were trying to get at. Phonon has always allowed you to use libVLC, libXine or Gstreamer without any problems thanks to the abstraction layers.

indeed !
                even now, when i updated from 4.9 to 4.9.2 i got instability issues as regressions, like khtml being broken, and everything depending on it going apeshit, if being compiled with the same flags as on 4.9.
                Can't comment on the compile flags because I run Arch, not Gentoo or kde-src. But if you've got problems, report bugs, and if you are still using KHTML...you're doing it wrong. KHTML has been replaced by WebKit, and even if you are still using Konquerer you can tell it to use a Webkit backend instead of KHTML.

BUT things like that, no matter how frustrating, still are the LEAST of KDE's problems. in comparison to fucked-up design and lack of manpower/interest in crucial parts, like kwin.
                Lack of manpower/interest is kind of an ironic statement to make considering Martin just got hired to be a full time developer on Kwin and even before then he was doing weekly development updates on Kwin.

How is it a fucked-up design, exactly? They are using the best of modern technologies available to them, and the ones they arent using they have plans to use such as QT5 and Webkit2. Thats the joy of the level of abstraction KDE chose to do, they can gradually replace the backends without it being too much of a big deal.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Ericg, do you think dfx might be trolling and not really expecting a reasonable answer?

Comment

depends on mode you're using. i prefer _true multi-screen_ aka "Zaphod mode" or multi-_seat_.
                    but nooo, having one giant uneven virtual screen from all the monitors, no-matter size or matrix/tube parameters, is the brink of fashion today... back in KDE 3.X i could even label separate screens, as if they were usual virtual screens, but only real. which they exacly are. but nooo, now everyone ass-backwardly spreads out multiple outputs on one "real" X screen and then puts DE's virtual "desktops"/screens on top of that :/
                    first, gimme my separate screens, then put your virtual crap on each of them, _separately_, damn it !

i actually did set up "Zaphod mode" on my 4.9.2 via static (xorg.conf) config file, and kwin does treat secondary screen as a separate, independent desktop space. but some parts of KDE still are confused about it, like, for example, it's monitor configurator is all fucked up and useless, and plasma's virtual desktop menu thinks it's one giant sausage-of-the-screen still. and i'm sure i will experience all the subtle fuck-ups eventually.

Besides working fine with SSDs (I know, not everybody has them), you do realize Nepomuk is just a service and as such it can be, brace for it, disabled.
                    1) hoggin the living shit out of CPU, volatile memory and persistent storage devices is not "working fine"
                    i have 6 HDDs on my desktop, almost 6Tb overall. i don't need no "search service" beyond simple locate & find, because everything is in order.
                    2) i don't need it, i disabled it, but it doesn't remove that crap out of my system, nor does it free me from compiling MySQL for it.
                    at least now they made KDE not to complain and whine about it being disabled. after it been disabled, by me, because fuck that.
                    Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    Nepomuk works great. At least much better than the other Linux equivalent I have tried. The nepumuk tagging and indexing is very usable, and it give every application that use it a decent and search functionality with sharable data.
                    overall: not for my use-case. and this is not exactly the stuff, that worth be nailed into the DE's guts.

Comment

Could be a possibility, Bug, but he's not always a raving lunatic so I decided to go for optimism and hope he wasn't actually trolling this time.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X