No announcement yet.

Intel: Samsung Clobbering Others With Tizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that's a shitload of a commit.. did anyone actually take a look at it?
    Do they even know the word "rebase"? I have no idea how that could have gone unnoticed for so long.

Comment

Ah, fond memories of finding out the bootchart renderer was in Java, and promptly installing a replacement rendered written in Perl

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        I lost all and interest (and hope) in Tizen after I noticed they just do squashed mega-commits to the public repositories from time to time (they've done this pretty much from the very start).
        They must have a real blast cherry picking

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Hope Jolla will manage to put out something that is as good as the N9. HW -which IS important- and SW wise. They are the same people after all.
          Well, there's a few ex-MeeGo people at Jolla, most of whom weren't directly involved in hardware or software development, out of a couple of thousand when MeeGo wound up. So I think the whole 'continuation of the N9' thing has been massively, massively overplayed.

Comment

"Arjan van de Ven noticed that the modern C-based Bootchart tool was replaced by a 2005 Java-version of Bootchart that is quite old and carries less features"

Sounds like a regression...
            So what's the big deal? Just REVERT IT ALL!

Looks like Samsung just dropped a big poo on a public repository because they kept code inhouse without being synchronized with the public repositories. If so, I'd say it's Samsung's fault and isn't the responsibility of the community to clean up Samsung's mess. No doubt they pushed it to the community hoping that somebody in the community would cherry pick for them exactly what to be included and excluded. It didn't happen, so just revert all the push Samsung did and if they have something to contribute, force them to work with Intel if they want to have it included.

This is a problem of Samsung going out of their way to *NOT* work with Intel and the community so it's their own mess that they made, and a mess that they need to clean up on their own. Samsung just hasn't yet learned how to collaborate well with other companies and the community so this is their time to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
              Well, there's a few ex-MeeGo people at Jolla, most of whom weren't directly involved in hardware or software development, out of a couple of thousand when MeeGo wound up. So I think the whole 'continuation of the N9' thing has been massively, massively overplayed.
              Then its up to them to prove that they can do better and create something worthy no matter if they were involved in the N9 or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinK View Post
                Maemo - maintained by the community
                Moblin - dead (development stopped by Intel)
                MeeGo - dead (dumped by all participants after Nokias 11/2 Elopocalipse)
                Meltemi - dead (development stopped by Nokia)
                Tizen - status uncertain (developed behind closed doors, which also causes issues like the one described in this article)
                Mer - alive and kicking (= MEeGo Reconstructed - continues where MeeGo originally stopped; it is basically a metadistribution without any GUI; can be easily used for building fully functional mobile distros)
                Jolla - alive (based on mer with custom UI & polishing; should get its own device/s soon)
                Sailfish - alive (this is basically just Jolla licensed to other OEMs; basically like Iceweasel in Debian)
                WebOS - alive but uncertain (opensourced, but loosing support for running on its original hardware in the process; currently no plans for releasing further WebOS devices)
                Bada - dead (development stopped by Samsung; parts might land in Tizen to universal acclaim )
                Let's not forget crazy old aunty Canonical is busy knitting an Ubuntu phone in her room to

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                  You mean like a janitor & a receptionist? Yeah I'd have to agree that would be in the ball park of overplaying hehehe
                  Last edited by chris2kari; 07 October 2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chris2kari View Post
                    Let's not forget crazy old aunty Canonical is busy knitting an Ubuntu phone in her room to
                    I thought that was basically just an android that would do a cheroot/ swaproot to Ubunutu when you plugged into an hdmi port.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                      I thought that was basically just an android that would do a cheroot/ swaproot to Ubunutu when you plugged into an hdmi port.
                      Personally I'm waiting for IBM to announce z/OS on a cell phone.. now dat be one serious mofo telephone

Comment

Working...
                      X