Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel: Samsung Clobbering Others With Tizen

Phoronix: Intel: Samsung Clobbering Others With Tizen

There's a bit of a spat that started between Intel and Samsung developers working on the Tizen operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel: Samsung Clobbering Others With Tizen

There's a bit of a spat that started between Intel and Samsung developers working on the Tizen operating system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwMDU
    I've lost track. What is the current future of the Linux phone? Maemo? Moblin? MeeGo? Meltemi? Tizen? Mer? Jolla? WebOS? Bada? Sailfish?

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
      I've lost track. What is the current future of the Linux phone? Maemo? Moblin? MeeGo? Meltemi? Tizen? Mer? Jolla? WebOS? Bada? Sailfish?
      Obviously Android. Although I liked the N900.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
        Maemo - maintained by the community
        Moblin - dead (development stopped by Intel)
        MeeGo - dead (dumped by all participants after Nokias 11/2 Elopocalipse)
        Meltemi - dead (development stopped by Nokia)
        Tizen - status uncertain (developed behind closed doors, which also causes issues like the one described in this article)
        Mer - alive and kicking (= MEeGo Reconstructed - continues where MeeGo originally stopped; it is basically a metadistribution without any GUI; can be easily used for building fully functional mobile distros)
        Jolla - alive (based on mer with custom UI & polishing; should get its own device/s soon)
        Sailfish - alive (this is basically just Jolla licensed to other OEMs; basically like Iceweasel in Debian)
        WebOS - alive but uncertain (opensourced, but loosing support for running on its original hardware in the process; currently no plans for releasing further WebOS devices)
        Bada - dead (development stopped by Samsung; parts might land in Tizen to universal acclaim )

Comment

Clusterfuck is the only word i can think of that describes what happens to mobile linux -except for android- the last few years.

Hope Jolla will manage to put out something that is as good as the N9. HW -which IS important- and SW wise. They are the same people after all.

Comment

Firefox OS - developed by Mozilla, first devices expected from ZTE in early 2013 (current demos run on hacked Android phones).
            OpenEmbedded - not strictly aimed at Smartphones, but derived distros like OpenMoko are. Community developed, limited relevance for consumers.
            Qt Extended (formerly Qtopia) - ran on some phones, development has been abandoned.

Personally, I think that Tizen, Firefox OS and Jolla will have a chance if they establish a common set of developer tools that allows to target all three at once.

Comment

Isn't Firefox Os something that just runs on top of a linux base??

BTW anyone knows if Jolla is using Wayland??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                BTW anyone knows if Jolla is using Wayland??
                It isn't; at least not yet.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Isn't Firefox Os something that just runs on top of a linux base??
                It uses some components from both the usual GNU/Linux stack (like libusbx and BlueZ) and some other stuff from Android userland such as the HALs and bionic C libary.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  It isn't; at least not yet.
                  Thanks. I remember reading mer was trying to incorporate it in their stack but i have no idea if it was just brainstorming a target for a next release or whatever.

Comment

I lost all and interest (and hope) in Tizen after I noticed they just do squashed mega-commits to the public repositories from time to time (they've done this pretty much from the very start). It's completely useless if you want to collaborate in a meaningful way, as there is no way to track what changed and why. It's also quite strange that now you need an account to pull from public repositories. It's hard to actually consider Tizen open source if you look at the way they operate. It's as closed as you can possibly get with an open source project. Basically, Samsung does EVERYTHING internally and at the end of a month simply unloads a huge mudball of source code into repositories.
                    Last edited by brent; 06 October 2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X