Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Linux Kernel Support For The Loongson-3

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,419

    Default Linux Kernel Support For The Loongson-3

    Phoronix: Linux Kernel Support For The Loongson-3

    Lemote has published new Linux kernel patches for enabling the Loongson-3 processor support plus Loongson-3 based systems...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5OTg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default ^^THIS

    Forget a steam-box, China's push to have citizens use it's version of Linux, and further down the road, this processor family, is why Valve is investing in Linux. I'm sure Valve hasn't NOT thought about tapping a user-base of billions, that's for sure.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d557charger View Post
    Forget a steam-box, China's push to have citizens use it's version of Linux, and further down the road, this processor family, is why Valve is investing in Linux. I'm sure Valve hasn't NOT thought about tapping a user-base of billions, that's for sure.
    ...what the hell are you talking about?


    setting aside that confusing comment, at first I didn't understand the point of china making a quad core MIPS CPU, since MIPS doesn't seem to have any gain in the desktop or mobile market. It's perfectly fine for devices like routers though. But, i came to a realization. I am aware china (and North Korea) do have their own Linux distro that they moderate that allows them to freely distribute their censored computing laws. Nowadays, having x86 allows chinese people to switch to Windows, or another more usable OS, and ARM allows android use. Nobody uses MIPS for anything, so china can get away with a whole computing ecosystem that is incompatible with pretty much everything, but doesn't resort to starting everything from scratch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    ...what the hell are you talking about?


    setting aside that confusing comment, at first I didn't understand the point of china making a quad core MIPS CPU, since MIPS doesn't seem to have any gain in the desktop or mobile market. It's perfectly fine for devices like routers though. But, i came to a realization. I am aware china (and North Korea) do have their own Linux distro that they moderate that allows them to freely distribute their censored computing laws. Nowadays, having x86 allows chinese people to switch to Windows, or another more usable OS, and ARM allows android use. Nobody uses MIPS for anything, so china can get away with a whole computing ecosystem that is incompatible with pretty much everything, but doesn't resort to starting everything from scratch.
    ???? really what do you smoke?

    You can use "Debian" for your Loongson hardware and inside of Debian you can Run QEMU and inside of QEMU you can run X86 Windows with hardware accelerated "x86".

    On the other side Intel+AMD use in fact Nazi-Corporatism against the "Users" in there secret fight against "communism" ideas like "Free/Open-source" software.

    In fact AMD lose 98% of the support money for WINDOWS for every open-source user switing to "Loongson" hardware. In fact if you buy "Lonngson" hardware you support 25-50 times more Free-software with your support money than if you buy "AMD" hardware.

    If you buy Intel/AMD hardware you need to donate 100€ to the FSF for every computer you buy because of your crime buying "X86" hardware and supporting Nazi-corporatism.

    Maybe you are right and the Chinese communism is bad but one is for sure human history show that "Nazi-Corporatism" is bad for sure.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatism



    Oh yes Adolf Hitler like Corporatism its the fascist dream in how to rule a world.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default

    There we go with Hitler again... And I'm sure Intel/AMD can force me to buy their products just like the government of China can.

    Oh boy! If AMD/Intel invite me down the station for some "tea", I am pretty sure nobody will ever hear of me again! Yes, yes, it has happened over and over again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkmorris View Post
    There we go with Hitler again... And I'm sure Intel/AMD can force me to buy their products just like the government of China can.
    AMD+Intel=~100% market-share http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly
    Sure they can force you with there "Monopoly" power.
    In practice there is no difference how they force you by law or by monopoly power it doesn’t matter.
    They just force you.

    Also the stupid people talk about windows in the meaning of the defence of freedom LOL WINDOWS FORCE the people to use AMD/Intel hardware.

    Yes nice "Freedom" its the freedom to die or get a ass-fuck from intel(USA)

    But hey its freedom because you have the choice to do suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by tkmorris View Post
    Oh boy! If AMD/Intel invite me down the station for some "tea", I am pretty sure nobody will ever hear of me again! Yes, yes, it has happened over and over again.
    That's the clue intel/amd just hurt you by trashing your ownership into pieces with planned obsolescence.

    They just don't need to "take you away" they control your life 100% just in the place were you are.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Haha I knew Qaridarium would be all over this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by necro-lover View Post
    In fact if you buy "Lonngson" hardware you support 25-50 times more Free-software with your support money than if you buy "AMD" hardware.
    Gee, that sounds like a lot of free software development money. Where exactly is it being spent ?

    Obviously some went into modifying QEMU to use the x86 emulation instructions in the microcode, and modifying existing open source drivers to work on the Loongson CPU, but your comment seems to suggest there is a lot more going on. EnQuiring minds want to know

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,646

    Default

    Basically Loongson is pretty stupid to rely on an amd chipset for gfx. And to say that a virtualized windows will run fast when qemu in emulation mode is used must be a joke. Not even running qemu-system-x86_64 on x86 is fast (used to emulate 64 bit systems even on 32 bit cpus).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by necro-lover View Post
    ???? really what do you smoke?

    You can use "Debian" for your Loongson hardware and inside of Debian you can Run QEMU and inside of QEMU you can run X86 Windows with hardware accelerated "x86".
    I'm aware of that. I didn't say you can't do this, what I'm saying is MIPS is really slow and basic so virtualization will suck, even on a quad core, and there is very little Linux desktop focus on MIPS. you can get a basic functional usable Linux desktop running on MIPS but don't expect to do much beyond basic web browsing, office work, or really anything that computers did back in the early 2000s. Even with a decent GPU with good drivers, people are still going to have to port everything.

    On the other side Intel+AMD use in fact Nazi-Corporatism against the "Users" in there secret fight against "communism" ideas like "Free/Open-source" software.

    In fact AMD lose 98% of the support money for WINDOWS for every open-source user switing to "Loongson" hardware. In fact if you buy "Lonngson" hardware you support 25-50 times more Free-software with your support money than if you buy "AMD" hardware.

    If you buy Intel/AMD hardware you need to donate 100€ to the FSF for every computer you buy because of your crime buying "X86" hardware and supporting Nazi-corporatism.

    Maybe you are right and the Chinese communism is bad but one is for sure human history show that "Nazi-Corporatism" is bad for sure.
    I don't get what this has anything to do with what I said. all I'm saying is it'd be much easier for china to moderate what people do on their computers if they use an architecture that already has Linux support but has VERY minimal attention drawn to it, making it very unsuitable for commercial products. While that may mean products supported by china won't work, I'm sure some of those devs will be requested to port their work. I didn't say anything about the morality of what they're doing, I'm just saying it would make sense if china made MIPS based computers to sell to its people for real cheap and keeping them within their laws.

    But going back to your point, I don't get it, are you saying AMD and intel don't profit from Linux? because that makes no sense - they're a hardware company. Intel is huge so their relatively small Linux attention won't have the slightest impact on their revenue. AMD just has enough Linux devs to keep people from bitching at them for not supporting the platform at all.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •