No announcement yet.

Compiz Being Re-Retired From Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the glory days of Compiz when it was wow!
    I was watching YouTube videos of Compiz and like wow!
    So I got Linux with Compiz on it and showed the spinning cube to my friends and family and were like wow!
    So amazing!

Nowadays nobody is interested in it?

I am not sure about Mutter, is it any good?
    It feels so tied to gnome-shell.
    And it has no minimize and maximize buttons?
    I want to use something cool flashy with gnome classic session because Metacity sucks.

Comment

Why is it that I think that compiz is the greatest window manager on linux and that every thing else just seems to be a poor excuse

and the kwin seems to be the only real alternative except its to dependant on kde to bother using on something like xfce

the reason why i think this is that I make use of the expo funtionality the cover switer as its a lot more usefull to see a full preivew of a window before I switch to it, and I also use scalef

Comment

Originally posted by hosh-blot View Post
        Why is it that I think that compiz is the greatest window manager on linux and that every thing else just seems to be a poor excuse

and the kwin seems to be the only real alternative except its to dependant on kde to bother using on something like xfce

the reason why i think this is that I make use of the expo funtionality the cover switer as its a lot more usefull to see a full preivew of a window before I switch to it, and I also use scalef
        Well Compiz pioneered composited window managers.
        It have a plugin system so it is modular and configurable and able todo things other composited window managers can't do.
        Like the spinning cube!

The bad thing about Compiz is that supposedly is poorly written and there is lots of code that needs to be refactored, improved and rewritten.

Comment

and that you cant disable compositing like in KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            It have a plugin system so it is modular and configurable and able todo things other composited window managers can't do.
            I could be completely wrong, but I thought one of the problems with compiz was that it didn't have a plugin system, all effects had to tap directly into the core of the compositor, which is a security and stability risk,

Like the spinning cube!
            There are other compositors that support cube rotation, kwin for one.

Comment

Well Compiz pioneered composited window managers.
              Like the spinning cube!

The bad thing about Compiz is that supposedly is poorly written and there is lots of code that needs to be refactored, improved and rewritten.
              KWin has it too, so wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                I could be completely wrong, but I thought one of the problems with compiz was that it didn't have a plugin system, all effects had to tap directly into the core of the compositor, which is a security and stability risk,

There are other compositors that support cube rotation, kwin for one.
                I don't find anything that compiz can, but Kwin can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Jamie View Post
                  Ah, I was not aware of that.

Out of interest, what do you need vsync for?

My main use is transparent terminals (and not making YouTube slow) which it's been great for.
                  Without vsync if I use an xrender based compositer I get tearing on things like flash videos, which is very annoying. Video tearing can be worked around if you set your media player to use opengl output, but you can't do this with flash.

BUT, I've finally found a way to use xrender without tearing! (at least on intel). If you have a recent intel driver you can enable these two options:

Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
                  Option "TearFree" "true"

I can now use xfce's compositer with no tearing! No tearing dragging windows, no tearing scrolling, no tearing on any videos (including flash)! I'm quite happy I've finally found a solution for this I've been wanting to switch to XFCE, but the tearing always bothered me so much, and I have a lot of issues with compiz. Now everything works great.
                  Last edited by bwat47; 17 October 2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X