Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Boot Speed Results For Ubuntu 12.10

Phoronix: Early Boot Speed Results For Ubuntu 12.10

Here's an early look at some Bootchart numbers for two systems running Ubuntu 12.10 development snapshots compared to earlier releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meh, who cares, when GRUB takes two seconds to display its menu? Had that from the initial Kubuntu 12.10 beta and it's still not fixed. Not a Ubuntu specific problem, I guess, but it will slow the boot time of any distro using GRUB2

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Meh, who cares, when GRUB takes two seconds to display its menu? Had that from the initial Kubuntu 12.10 beta and it's still not fixed. Not a Ubuntu specific problem, I guess, but it will slow the boot time of any distro using GRUB2
      I'm also sometimes wondering about these inefficient/slow GNU projects like grub2, the autohell suite, you name it.

Comment

@bug77

where is your launchpad bug link?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @bug77

It's an obvious issue. Bugs are meant for other reasons, not for broken/slow stuff from the get go.

Comment

i'd like to see an UpStart vs systemd deathmatch.

Comment

@bug77

You know what? You're a helpful guy, so don't take this as an attack to your person. But I really hate having to log into a million platforms for each bug I stumble upon. I would love to report stuff, but if developers really want my reports, they should make tools that log in as bots and complete the report. Having to install debug packages is annoyance enough. So there, if anyone thought Linux is lagging on the desktop because of video drivers or lack of games, there's an additional problem for you.

Comment

looking at the slow chart for the fx-8150, it seems to spend a lot of time in apparmor_parser. does this run at every boot? or is there a cache that get rebuilt sometimes? maybe you should be comparing the best of several runs, other wise you may just be seeing random variations.

Comment

@bug77

Most likely you did not notice that ubuntu devs usually do not fix things which are not in launchpad. Because that way they can say they fixed bug x or y for the money they get.

Comment

@bug77

Most likely you did not notice that ubuntu devs usually do not fix things which are not in launchpad. Because that way they can say they fixed bug x or y for the money they get.
                    I won't even pretend I was paying any attention. But boy I'd be in trouble if I waited for clients to raise all bugs on my behalf...

Comment

Working...
                    X