Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Now Supports Oracle's SPARC-T4

Phoronix: Linux Now Supports Oracle's SPARC-T4

With the Linux 3.7 kernel there is now support for the SPARC-T4 processor that Oracle introduced last year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how much more sophisticated is such a processor than say an Intel Core i7 and how much more power does it use.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I wonder how much more sophisticated is such a processor than say an Intel Core i7 and how much more power does it use.
      well this is a big iron system and more directly compared to IBM Power 7 systems, not intel/AMD, beside is not designed to be a fast desktop but very efficient at massive parallel workloads like massive oracle databases.

not to mention those are really really expensive [around IBM power 7 price tag]

Comment

Less open now

It is too bad that Oracle is not so open as Sun were.

I remember Sun with their OpenSPARC initiative and releasing IP cores under the GPL as RTL files.
        The UltraSPARC T1 and T2 are open source. They're open hardware.

Oracle discontinued that.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          As somebody already said, they compare more to IBM's Power or Fujitsu's SPARC64 processor lines (where the Fujitsu's processors are also based on the SPARC architecture).

And if you want to compare to any Intel/AMD processors, look at the high end multiprocessor-ready Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron lines.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
            And if you want to compare to any Intel/AMD processors, look at the high end multiprocessor-ready Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron lines.
            Itanium is a better comparison point.

Comment

Working...
            X