Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Mono Project Still Integrating Mono's .NET

Phoronix: Wine Mono Project Still Integrating Mono's .NET

While it's been several months since the last Wine Mono release, its developers are still working on the open-source project for providing a replacement .NET run-time and class libraries in Wine with those from the Mono project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They still have a bit of a ways to go - I was trying an ancient game on Wine recently, and Mono was failing to load it. Had to uninstall it and install .NET, then it worked.

Comment

Nevertheless, *THIS* is where MONO belongs...NOT in LINUX per se but in WINE.

With a bit of hard work and luck it will be an excellent alternative to .Net in WINE.

I gonna test new version (0.0.8) in next days together with most recent WINE (1.5.14)....

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        Nevertheless, *THIS* is where MONO belongs...NOT in LINUX per se but in WINE.
        That and ports of proprietary games that depended on .Net previously. I can not really see an argument against its use there as it is not like the game is going to be free software anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          They still have a bit of a ways to go - I was trying an ancient game on Wine recently, and Mono was failing to load it. Had to uninstall it and install .NET, then it worked.
          Sorry to say this soo far away since you posted but...

What you say is interesting but what i found is even more interesting...

I discovered that several games DEMAND to have real .NET to install but they actually play BETTER in WINE if we use MONO !!!

Two simple of many examples:

Frontlines Fuel of War:
          It installs with .NET or MONO but if you want to to install the patches it only will do with .NET
          Game performance is BETTER with MONO.

FALLOUT3
          Installs and plays at 1st glance with .NET or MONO but main menu game background music (a masterpiece as for games goes) with NET won't simply play at ALL whatever i tried....with MONO it plays flawless !!!....and i didn't fiddle with QUARTZ or whatever...

As a result, now i only use MONO (using version 0.0.8) and when a game doesn't install/upgrade, i use an alternative prefix, install (and patch) there, ZIP the game folder and save it....then i remove alternative prefix and simply unZIP the game folder in the normal WINE prefix

Comment

Working...
          X