AMD A10-5800K "Trinity" APU On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
    I didn't disable anything. I'm just running stock Ubuntu 12.10 here. I didn't really tried looking into it yet.
    That why your battery drained quickly. Put
    Code:
    echo "OFF" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    into /etc/rc.local.

Comment

@RussianNeuroMancer

There can't possibly exist Trinity laptops without discrete graphics...

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
        Thank you for the answer Pingu. I had seen that page before and, if you are right and it's not working yet, then there's something to be corrected on that page because it's clearly saying that dynpm is working with kernel 2.6.35!!! and up, and on the feature matrix is written DONE in every square for Northern Islands.
        It's a bit more complicated than this.

Dynamic PM has been in the kernel for a long time. It kind of, sort of works, but it fails often, doesn't always switch frequencies when needed, and has a number of issues on some hardware. It's also not nearly as efficient as the stuff in Catalyst. The AMD guys got a simple implementation out, hoping that the community would improve it using available documentation, but this turned out to be very difficult.

It turns out that there are parts of the documentation which have not been released by AMD, and which could really help power management. Because of this, nobody really spent much time getting the current dynpm working well, knowing that if this information is ever released, it would likely have to be re-written to take advantage of it. This is hearsay, I haven't worked on the code.

It also turns out that AMD engineers have written a new, improved implementation of dynamic powersaving for the open drivers, but can't release it yet. Bridgman wrote about it. When/if it passes technical and/or legal review, it could end up being the solution everybody has been waiting for.

As with all things relating to internal AMD reviews, we won't know anything until it's released (or rejected).

Comment

Not gonna read 7 pages, but let me point out something out from a casual, not alot of deep knowledge PC builder....

first the APU needs FAST ram, and 2nd...

There is a difference between MAXED out ultra mega super sayin 4 level ultra elite graphics, and good enough graphics. Im ok with good enough, i dont need every last detail, heck, i always turn off BLOOM lighting and shadows, its just a distraction and not needed(specially if you're competitive).

Other than bragging rights....hotrod mindset(WHICH IS FINE) what you get with a $2000 I7 system and a a10 5800k $500(counting a 22" LED monitor) is more flash, but the FPS past 60, you wont even feel...

So before you blindly trash the APU, please understand WHAT it's for, it's for those of us that say good enough, and don't have epeen issues...and remember, there are FAR more of us; not alot of knowledge types that are PERFECTLY happy with what we have, than those elite epeen bragger types that will spend $500 extra to just say its 10 more FPS

Comment

Originally posted by wdh1974 View Post
            Not gonna read 7 pages, but let me point out something out from a casual, not alot of deep knowledge PC builder....

first the APU needs FAST ram, and 2nd...

There is a difference between MAXED out ultra mega super sayin 4 level ultra elite graphics, and good enough graphics. Im ok with good enough, i dont need every last detail, heck, i always turn off BLOOM lighting and shadows, its just a distraction and not needed(specially if you're competitive).

Other than bragging rights....hotrod mindset(WHICH IS FINE) what you get with a $2000 I7 system and a a10 5800k $500(counting a 22" LED monitor) is more flash, but the FPS past 60, you wont even feel...

So before you blindly trash the APU, please understand WHAT it's for, it's for those of us that say good enough, and don't have epeen issues...and remember, there are FAR more of us; not alot of knowledge types that are PERFECTLY happy with what we have, than those elite epeen bragger types that will spend $500 extra to just say its 10 more FPS
            I have the A8-3870K, and I can't use it now. I had to install a discrete nvidia card just to use Cinnamon. Cinnamon is UNUSABLE with Catalyst due to this bug, and the opensource driver is so slow that even scrolling pages in Chrome is very laggy.
            Now I'm considering selling my AMD APU and buying Ivy Bridge, simply because it WORKS.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
              I have the A8-3870K, and I can't use it now. I had to install a discrete nvidia card just to use Cinnamon. Cinnamon is UNUSABLE with Catalyst due to this bug, and the opensource driver is so slow that even scrolling pages in Chrome is very laggy.
              Now I'm considering selling my AMD APU and buying Ivy Bridge, simply because it WORKS.
              Look here.

Originally posted by http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=648#c8
              Btw, renaming the "gala" executable to "gnome-shell" and running it, actually fixes most of the bugs. -.-
              Lololol!

You have no idea! If your 2000$ Intel system works, and APU system suck dragon balls level 99, I take 2000$ Intel system anyday. End of story!
              Last edited by brosis; 13 March 2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Now brosis, comn man, you know the point i was making, but you are the type where 1fps matters, if you can't understand my post, it just shows the extreme gap in the TYPE of computer user's out there.

60fps IS 60fps, it does not matter where it's coming from. and of course a 2 grand system is better lol DUH! i never said it wasn't, but as i stated, 6o fps is the same everywhere on this planet, and prolly most other planets...

We all know a I7 isnt getting maxed out with gaming, CPUs arent the bottle neck there, APUs are the future, and "good enough" is FINE for most people, and APUs will only get faster.

Just look at what happened with TITAN, tech is getting smaller and faster, AMD has CPUs and GPUs, in time we will see an APU that is equal to TITAN and an I7, it IS coming, and it will be AMD that has it.

Comment

Now brosis, comn man, you know the point i was making, but you are the type where 1fps matters, if you can't understand my post, it just shows the extreme gap in the TYPE of computer user's out there.

60fps IS 60fps, it does not matter where it's coming from. and of course a 2 grand system is better lol DUH! i never said it wasn't, but as i stated, 6o fps is the same everywhere on this planet, and prolly most other planets...

We all know a I7 isnt getting maxed out with gaming, CPUs arent the bottle neck there, APUs are the future, and "good enough" is FINE for most people, and APUs will only get faster.

Just look at what happened with TITAN, tech is getting smaller and faster, AMD has CPUs and GPUs, in time we will see an APU that is equal to TITAN and an I7, it IS coming, and it will be AMD that has it.
                  AMD is so crap, that a 10 times weaker Intel can kill it performance and stability-wise only thanks to driver quality. Just look who is the driving force behind MESA and who produces the open drivers that you can be proud of.

Besides, current APUs only deliver low-segment discrete performance, hardly discrete will ever vanish. Its just for average joe its cheaper to get APU than to get CPU+low-segment GPU, thats why all the APU buzz. They will not cease production of discrete cards, its just if Intel designs good hardware APU, its game over for AMD.

Comment

And if Intel makes a good APU it will cost so much cash NO ONE will buy it....once again you are throwing out the entire concept of my post, GOOD ENOUGH. And face it, if we didnt have AMD intel chips would be MUCH MORE expensive.

I can get to work in a honda civic, or a dodge viper, both get me there, but what car is good enough for the simple task of driving to work? Money means ALOT more to folks now days, and 60fps without high end shadows or bloom lighting is GOOD ENOUGH...

there are so many examples of this concept in our lives today...

BUT i guess i kinda hijacked this thread ill stop posting here now.

Comment

What I would have rather seen or maybe ismply missed was 'Thank you AMD'.

Comment

Working...
                      X