Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perf Sees Big Changes With Linux 3.7 Kernel

Phoronix: Perf Sees Big Changes With Linux 3.7 Kernel

The perf performance counters sub-system and utility are seeing some mighty improvements with the Linux 3.7 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, here arrives kernel 3.7, and Debian Testing is still on 3.2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
      Well, here arrives kernel 3.7, and Debian Testing is still on 3.2.0.
      Yep, pretty annoying. When I have the time and access to faster Internet ill probably go back to Arch. If you use experimental you can get the 3.5 kernel but you're still stuck with a bunch of other packages that are out of date.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Yep, pretty annoying. When I have the time and access to faster Internet ill probably go back to Arch. If you use experimental you can get the 3.5 kernel but you're still stuck with a bunch of other packages that are out of date.
        Debian never really did work as a rolling release. Testing got frozen, Sid was STILL out of date, and experimental was like playing with a loaded handgun as a kid AND was out of date. Arch works as the best rolling release if you really do want the latest and greatest. Gentoo's nice but their "current" / "stable" line is always a bit behind Arch-- perfectly fine for a rolling release but if you want the latest and greatest you run Gentoo-git or just plain old Arch lol
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Debian Sid is typically only outdated during freeze, and from that Aptosid has managed to make a rolling release distribution that works quite well. The good thing about Experimental is that you can mix it with Sid as you like. The reason why Debian's testing kernel is 3.2 is because that is a long-term supported kernel, which the Wheezy release has to support for the next 2+ years.

I guess Arch is ok if you can live with the reduced number of packages compared to Debian. Gentoo has not only stable and git (if by "git" you mean live ebuilds).

Comment

Its not really hard to compile a kernel for debian. If you use my kernel-wedge package you can use ubuntu packageing like you get from ubuntu mainline. if packageing does not really interest you just fetch the kernel you want to build and run

If you use ubuntu packageing and kernel-wedge from ubuntu or kanotix:

Most likely when your current kernel is 3.2 and you build then 3.6 you have to press lots of time enter with the first script. If you like a custom name change the Makefile. A current i7-3770s together with an ssd needs around 10 min to compile a kernel, so whats the huge problem?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              Aptosid has managed to make a rolling release distribution that works quite well.
              I just search for that. Thanks.

But no GNOME in default installation

We now have the pleasure to announce the immediate availability of the final aptosid 2011-03 "Πόνος" release, shipping in the following flavours:

KDE-lite, amd64, en/ de, ≈590 MB.
              KDE-lite, i686, en/ de, ≈590 MB.
              KDE-full, amd64+i686, en/ de (cz, da, es, fr, it, ja, nl, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, ru, uk through liveapt) ≈2.0 GB.
              XFCE, amd64, en/ de, ≈495 MB.
              XFCE, i686, en/ de, ≈490 MB.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                Debian Sid is typically only outdated during freeze, and from that Aptosid has managed to make a rolling release distribution that works quite well. The good thing about Experimental is that you can mix it with Sid as you like. The reason why Debian's testing kernel is 3.2 is because that is a long-term supported kernel, which the Wheezy release has to support for the next 2+ years.

I guess Arch is ok if you can live with the reduced number of packages compared to Debian. Gentoo has not only stable and git (if by "git" you mean live ebuilds).
                Arch has a LOT of packages in aur, it is impressive...
                Frankly I barely every not find anything I am looking for there...

Comment

Working...
                X