Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.6 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 3.6 Kernel Released

Linus Torvalds released the Linux 3.6 kernel on Sunday afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ubuntu 12.10

Any chance in Ubuntu 12.10??

Comment

Originally posted by Raine View Post
      Any chance in Ubuntu 12.10??
      Exact 0 chance to see it in Ubuntu 12.10 through official repos. And I wouldn't install it through unofficial repos.

Comment

What's new?

See Linux Kernel Newbies for changes in Linux kernel 3.6.
        Summary of the changes and new features merged in the Linux kernel during the 3.6 development cycle

Comment

There should be no problem to use kernel 3.6 on ubuntu 12.10. fglrx and nvidia binary drivers support kernel 3.6, just fetch it from

I used 3.6rcX for some weeks now, pwc does not support my old webcam but otherwise it works fine.

Comment

How about Fedora 18 then?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              How about Fedora 18 then?
              Fedora typically ships with a git snapshot of the kernel the day before Fedora ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                There should be no problem to use kernel 3.6 on ubuntu 12.10... I used 3.6rcX for some weeks now, pwc does not support my old webcam but otherwise it works fine.
                I concur. An earlier -rc of 3.6 allowed temperatures on my T520 to soar out of control but, whatever that was, it disappeared. 3.6 is now working flawlessly on my Quantal build.

From the Ubuntu Kernel wiki:
                Generally Ubuntu systems run with the stock Ubuntu kernels. However it is handy to be able to test with unmodified mainline kernels to help locate problems in the Ubuntu kernel patches, or to confirm that upstream has fixed the issue. To this end we now offer mainline kernel builds. These mainline kernels are made from unmodified kernel source but using the Ubuntu kernel configuration files. These are then packaged as Ubuntu .deb files for simple installation.

By definition the mainline kernel builds are made from virgin unaltered mainline kernel sources and therefore do not, and should not, include any Ubuntu patches or drivers. There are also no binary drivers for these kernels.
                It appears, from my experience, that the mainline builds work fine despite the caveat about missing patches and drivers.

Comment

Well you most likely need a nvidia ppa when you want to use it with older U versions. fglrx supports the buildpkg option and that should do now as fglrx does not need patches for 3.6. I would call it a mostly quiet kernel update - efi stub was broken in the first rc, but most likely not many used this feature at that time. I did a kernel bisect to find this of course. A bit more annoying was an U mainline config problem: they just missed all DVB modules.

Comment

Working...
                  X