Thread: Linux 3.6 Kernel Released

Default Linux 3.6 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 3.6 Kernel Released

Linus Torvalds released the Linux 3.6 kernel on Sunday afternoon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5NTk

Default ubuntu 12.10

Any chance in Ubuntu 12.10??

Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    Any chance in Ubuntu 12.10??
    Exact 0 chance to see it in Ubuntu 12.10 through official repos. And I wouldn't install it through unofficial repos.

Default What's new?

See Linux Kernel Newbies for changes in Linux kernel 3.6.
    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.6

There should be no problem to use kernel 3.6 on ubuntu 12.10. fglrx and nvidia binary drivers support kernel 3.6, just fetch it from

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa.../v3.6-quantal/

I used 3.6rcX for some weeks now, pwc does not support my old webcam but otherwise it works fine.

How about Fedora 18 then?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    How about Fedora 18 then?
    Fedora typically ships with a git snapshot of the kernel the day before Fedora ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    There should be no problem to use kernel 3.6 on ubuntu 12.10... I used 3.6rcX for some weeks now, pwc does not support my old webcam but otherwise it works fine.
    I concur. An earlier -rc of 3.6 allowed temperatures on my T520 to soar out of control but, whatever that was, it disappeared. 3.6 is now working flawlessly on my Quantal build.

From the Ubuntu Kernel wiki:
    Generally Ubuntu systems run with the stock Ubuntu kernels. However it is handy to be able to test with unmodified mainline kernels to help locate problems in the Ubuntu kernel patches, or to confirm that upstream has fixed the issue. To this end we now offer mainline kernel builds. These mainline kernels are made from unmodified kernel source but using the Ubuntu kernel configuration files. These are then packaged as Ubuntu .deb files for simple installation.

By definition the mainline kernel builds are made from virgin unaltered mainline kernel sources and therefore do not, and should not, include any Ubuntu patches or drivers. There are also no binary drivers for these kernels.
    It appears, from my experience, that the mainline builds work fine despite the caveat about missing patches and drivers.

Well you most likely need a nvidia ppa when you want to use it with older U versions. fglrx supports the buildpkg option and that should do now as fglrx does not need patches for 3.6. I would call it a mostly quiet kernel update - efi stub was broken in the first rc, but most likely not many used this feature at that time. I did a kernel bisect to find this of course. A bit more annoying was an U mainline config problem: they just missed all DVB modules.