Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unity 6.6: Still Regressing On Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by who_me View Post
    These days unity and compiz are like a horse and carriage. The last version of compiz has a regression when it comes to performance. There is a fix but it has not made it to the final repos yet.

The 6 month release cycle is just fine as long as people understand that stable means LTS and the others are just snapshots in the dev cycle that people could (and I mean could) use as a passable OS with various degrees of success. I like 10.04 and used it for a few years but on a separate HDD I always had one distro or another to check up on things and report bugs.
    I'm running 12.04 which is an LTS and it's pretty much unusable in many ways. Just load up XBMC and you'll get a nice slideshow.

I've been hearing "fixes are coming in the next version" for six months now and I haven't seen much improvement yet TBH.

It's kind of embarrassing because Linux was supposed to be the lean and efficient version of an OS. Well I guess that was true under GNOME2 but I don't know what the hell is going on these days; it's a huge mess and I wouldn't advise any newcomers to dip their toes into this pool.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      The final release of Ubuntu 12.10 will include Compiz 0.9.8.4 and Unity 6.8.0, both of which already have a nice bag of final performance fixes coming with them. Generally, the performance of Ubuntu 12.10 is a LOT better than Ubuntu 12.04 in all areas.
      I'm SO looking forward to this!

Comment

One of the biggest issues is XSync for nvidia.

It will give an example increase of 30FPS to 50FPS.

Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1049214

Comment

Originally posted by natewiebe13 View Post
          One of the biggest issues is XSync for nvidia.

It will give an example increase of 30FPS to 50FPS.

Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1049214
          Looks like fixing it will get Unity on par with KWin. But when they fix one issue they usually introduce another.
          Last edited by mark45; 29 September 2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            I'm running 12.04 which is an LTS and it's pretty much unusable in many ways. Just load up XBMC and you'll get a nice slideshow.

I've been hearing "fixes are coming in the next version" for six months now and I haven't seen much improvement yet TBH.

It's kind of embarrassing because Linux was supposed to be the lean and efficient version of an OS. Well I guess that was true under GNOME2 but I don't know what the hell is going on these days; it's a huge mess and I wouldn't advise any newcomers to dip their toes into this pool.
            That's actually one of the reasons I moved to KDE. XBMC was terrible in Unity. Unity's performance became pretty unbearable, as did XBMC's UI. With KWin it's not so bad.

Comment

If Xrender extension was improved to support vsync, we would not need opengl compositors that need substantial gpu power to work right.

I'm using Xubuntu 12.10 and xfwm4 is very light and good looking, problem is the tearing because the lack of vsync in all xrender compositors.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
                Why Valve, why did you have to choose a company who makes such terrible decisions.
                [++]!

Valve could hire Kano and create their own stripped down reference distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  [++]!

Valve could hire Kano and create their own stripped down reference distribution.
                  What amazes me is that they didn't do such a thing.

Hell, they could even start from the VERY scratch with LFS and use STEAM as a package manager! THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
                    What amazes me is that they didn't do such a thing.

Hell, they could even start from the VERY scratch with LFS and use STEAM as a package manager! THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS.
                    They could certainly roll their own distro but they really wouldn't need to since X is rather versatile. They could of course just have their own desktop login session (like XBMC) and then the user could just do a switch session. Or better yet just launch Steam on a separate X server.

Comment

X is outdated, there's nothing Valve can do about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X