Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open webOS 1.0 Released

Phoronix: Open webOS 1.0 Released

After being in beta for a while, HP's Open webOS has a new release: version 1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"This is the only OS we know of that can run unmodified on pcs laptops phones etc."
    Why does this video make me think of the 80s?

Comment

Their main idea for how you might want to use this is kiosks!? Ugh- phones and tablets are two things that come to mind. Who are they counting on to bring webOS back to those devices? I just.... *facepalm* Might as well just wait for Jolla.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
        Their main idea for how you might want to use this is kiosks!? Ugh- phones and tablets are two things that come to mind. Who are they counting on to bring webOS back to those devices? I just.... *facepalm* Might as well just wait for Jolla.
        Oh... I don't know... Themselves maybe? HP definitely isn't one of the larger forces in business computing and the largest in consumer in terms of OEM, and they certainly haven't made tablets and smartphones and other devices in the past. Nope... </sarcasm>

Comment

As it looks like HP can't even be bothered to compile new drivers for it to ran on the Touchpad (that every second mobile developer got from the firesale)...

Comment

Oh... I don't know... Themselves maybe? HP definitely isn't one of the larger forces in business computing and the largest in consumer in terms of OEM, and they certainly haven't made tablets and smartphones and other devices in the past. Nope... </sarcasm>
            I hope you're right, Luke_Wolf. I really miss those days- it'd be nice if webOS made a comeback. I suppose if they were making new webOS devices they wouldn't be talking about phones/tablets in this video, as not to cause suspicion. Then again, they could have nothing to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinK View Post
              As it looks like HP can't even be bothered to compile new drivers for it to ran on the Touchpad (that every second mobile developer got from the firesale)...
              Considering that there is a big number of Intel-based tablets waiting around the corner to launch with Win8, I expect that HP focus more on those. HP may even revive the plan to use webOS alongside Windows.

Comment

I hope you're right, Luke_Wolf. I really miss those days- it'd be nice if webOS made a comeback. I suppose if they were making new webOS devices they wouldn't be talking about phones/tablets in this video, as not to cause suspicion. Then again, they could have nothing to hide.
                Comeback, huh? Don't you have to have actually "been there" in order to "come back"?
                THEY MISSED THE BOAT!!!!

No matter how good of something you eventually come up with, you need to have it ready at the time when it is actually needed... in time to compete. If PALM had this OS ready back around about... 2006 or 2007, they probably would have been successful with it. Now, its just too much of an uphill battle.

Comment

The problem with webos is... too little, too late. Android is already there on phones and tablets.

Kiosks? We actually run Android on our kiosks. Android is actually perfect for kiosks, since the touch control is well advanced, and it is adaptable to the form configuration. Its also absolutely trivial to replace the Android launcher with a custom launcher (application) for the kiosk's particular use.

Comment

Working...
                  X