Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Driver Gets Fan Control Modes

Phoronix: Nouveau Driver Gets Fan Control Modes

There's some fan/thermal-related commits hitting the Nouveau driver's DRM repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hooray for fan management! I don't even know what kind of fan I have, but any tangible advances in Nouveau's power/thermal management actually landing in the kernel is very welcome.

Comment

This sounds great! How do the nouveau drivers compare with the proprietary drivers? I wanna try them out on my HP touchsmart.

Comment

Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
        This sounds great! How do the nouveau drivers compare with the proprietary drivers? I wanna try them out on my HP touchsmart.
        Depends on your hardware. From my experience with my NVA5 (NV50/NVA3 generation), it works very well but has slower 3D performance and eats more power than the proprietary driver.

Comment

It just hit me that running Nouveau will probably wear you fan out compared to the proprietary driver, all in an attempt to avoid over heating They better get that fan controll working automatic soon

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            It just hit me that running Nouveau will probably wear you fan out compared to the proprietary driver, all in an attempt to avoid over heating They better get that fan controll working automatic soon
            Well, if they can handle manual fan control + thermal sensors, I don't see why an automatic fan management mode couldn't be slapped together based on temperature thresholds (either system or user-defined).

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              My 8800GT fan is very quiet with Nouveau (more quiet than on Windows) and temperature seems fine.
              It seems my GPU is controlling fan by itself.

Comment

Would be grate if the fan control could learn about the system thermal an usage characteristics of to keep an on avarge low noise instead of constantly jumping between idle and max fan speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  Well, if they can handle manual fan control + thermal sensors, I don't see why an automatic fan management mode couldn't be slapped together based on temperature thresholds (either system or user-defined).
                  Right. The only reason the code has not been pushed is .... that I didn't have the time to fix my patch following the nouveau maintainer's comments before going on vacation. The code is available but won't be merged in Nouveau until I get back home which should be in a few days.
                  Hopefully, the thermal work will be almost done for most cards when I'm done merging the patches.

However, please test the code extensively. We never know what strange clock tree nvidia could have introduced on some chispets!

Comment

One option is badly named. "none" implies off, it would be better as "bios", or "default".

Please fix before it's in kernel and can't be changed

Comment

Working...
                    X