Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Steam Linux Beta Begins Next Week

Phoronix: Valve's Steam Linux Beta Begins Next Week

Valve's Steam Linux beta is finally arriving...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

people are gonna scream FUD but i'm just salivating at the prospect of the bug reports on the POS platform that's ubuntu. this is because ubuntu is much buggier than osx and steam on the mac is already glitchy. ubuntu's six month release cycle is a joke. it's basically half-broken apps on a crappy video stack running on a monolithic kernel.

Comment

Hope the invitation to the 'external beta' to used by proper Linux Users/Lovers.
      It should not end up as Steam Trading commodity.

I have seen people selling - "Steam BETA Community invitation", "Steam Mobile App invitation" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        people are gonna scream FUD but i'm just salivating at the prospect of the bug reports on the POS platform that's ubuntu. this is because ubuntu is much buggier than osx and steam on the mac is already glitchy. ubuntu's six month release cycle is a joke. it's basically half-broken apps on a crappy video stack running on a monolithic kernel.
        But there's a new Shopping Lens in Ubuntu 12.10!!!

Comment

Awesome, hopefully not too long until Arch gets it, either hacked by Arch or official from Valve. Shouldn't be too difficult... systemd entry would be nice and hopefully Valve doesn't do anything stupid like requiring specific linking to outdated Ubuntu dependencies.

Comment

They should put that WINE version tracking to use

Comment

Whoooo~~
              Happy days are here at last!!!

Comment

Hopping for a beta key :-)

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  I'll let you know how it goes on my machine. I've had good success with gaming on my nice desktop in Ubuntu for the last couple of years, despite you claiming it should be in shambles and barely functioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                    Awesome, hopefully not too long until Arch gets it, either hacked by Arch or official from Valve. Shouldn't be too difficult... systemd entry would be nice and hopefully Valve doesn't do anything stupid like requiring specific linking to outdated Ubuntu dependencies.
                    I'm an Arch User and have been added to their Beta List very early. I'll report how things are going on Phoronix and over at the Arch Linux Forums.
                    My test system is Core i7 2600K with GeForce GTX 580 so it should be ideal in terms of supported hardware.

Ohh happy day!!!! Oh happy day!

Comment

Working...
                    X