Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 304.51 Linux Graphics Driver Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA 304.51 Linux Graphics Driver Released

NVIDIA has released an updated proprietary Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boring updates...

Without Optimus support the Nvidia chip embedded in my laptop remains unusable... Nvidia Linux team should really focus on the blocking feature first.

Comment

On the contrary, I'm happy to get bug fixes!

Comment

Seen it every time now so maybe it's worth a note... It might probably help if you could post links to both 32bit and 64bit driver versions, not just the latter...

Comment

I still have to turn off composite when running certain things. How long has this been going on for?

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
            I still have to turn off composite when running certain things. How long has this been going on for?
            Unfortunately, every single compositor in linux doesn't work properly with Nvidia.

All Xrender compositors have tearing because xrender extensions doesn't support vsync, and xorg never added support for it.

Most openlgl compositors also have issues. Kwin and Mutter tears with vsync, Compiz have terrible performance while dragging windows and also playing games.

The only opengl compositor that works as it should is E17 compositor, but it's not standalone and I don't like E17.

Dev's never bothered to fix these problems and blame Nvidia drivers for their incompetence. Windows have a perfect composite desktop with no performance hit and is tear free, so don't blame Nvidia drivers.

Weston compositor is the last hope of getting this fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
              Unfortunately, every single compositor in linux doesn't work properly with Nvidia.

All Xrender compositors have tearing because xrender extensions doesn't support vsync, and xorg never added support for it.

Most openlgl compositors also have issues. Kwin and Mutter tears with vsync, Compiz have terrible performance while dragging windows and also playing games.
              https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=651312#c37 and

So no we do not need wayland to fix those. You can already have no tearing by enabling the workaround in this bug or wait for GNOME 3.8 (the opengl extension didn't get finished in time for 3.6).

Comment

Thanks for the links.

I already knew the gnome workaround, but that workaround also increase gpu temperature when idle.

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
                  Thanks for the links.

I already knew the gnome workaround, but that workaround also increase gpu temperature when idle.
                  Yes there are reasons why we don't do that by default. A proper fix is being worked on (would not only fix that bug but allow us to always use page flipping and thus increase performance).

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                    Yes there are reasons why we don't do that by default. A proper fix is being worked on (would not only fix that bug but allow us to always use page flipping and thus increase performance).
                    Is there any change that fix would land this year?

Comment

Working...
                    X