Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: NVIDIA To Publicly Release Some Documentation

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    It's possible they cannot release docs for their desktop card ASICS due to 3rd party IP restrictions. If they can bring the design work inhouse and use as little 3rd party IP as possible then they could be able to open up documentation for the 3d parts.
    I can understand having IP restrictions on the implementation, but not for the interface. I thought that was settled in oracle vs. google.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    I can understand having IP restrictions on the implementation, but not for the interface. I thought that was settled in oracle vs. google.
    depends on whether they got someone to initially write the interface and they don't actually own the ipr.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I concur with the poster above that nVidia should release documentation for their older cards that are at end of life so that we as a community can support ourselves by having an open driver so we can continue to use these cards
    This assumes such documentation exists and could quickly be released. I very much doubt that's the case. Which means they'd first need to go assembling various internal documents, sanitize them and then shape them into a form that can be released. Too much effort for EOL hardware, I don't see any incentive to do it.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naib View Post
    depends on whether they got someone to initially write the interface and they don't actually own the ipr.
    IANAL, but it seems pretty clear after the oracle case that nobody can own an interface. That may change if oracle gets its way, but currently interfaces are not protected by intellectual property law.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    This assumes such documentation exists and could quickly be released. I very much doubt that's the case. Which means they'd first need to go assembling various internal documents, sanitize them and then shape them into a form that can be released. Too much effort for EOL hardware, I don't see any incentive to do it.
    True, as all they need to do with such old documentation is to get it cleared by their legal department first, much in the same fashion AMD did with their docs. At minimum they should release the interface and programming docs (minus any 3rd party info)

    However they should be able to release docs for their not quite so old cards (eg, GeForce 5,6,7)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    IANAL, but it seems pretty clear after the oracle case that nobody can own an interface. That may change if oracle gets its way, but currently interfaces are not protected by intellectual property law.
    Interfaces can still, in principle, be patented. However, the Oracle ruling is arguably the last nail in the coffin of the idea that API/ABIs can be copyrighted under US law. Frankly I'm still kind of floored that anyone thought Oracle even had a chance on that claim. 17 USC 102(b) and Lotus v. Borland were pretty big hints.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,098

    Default It's getting chilly in hell

    I would like to see hardware documentation for GeForce though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •