NVIDIA To Publicly Release Some Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    It's possible they cannot release docs for their desktop card ASICS due to 3rd party IP restrictions. If they can bring the design work inhouse and use as little 3rd party IP as possible then they could be able to open up documentation for the 3d parts.
    I can understand having IP restrictions on the implementation, but not for the interface. I thought that was settled in oracle vs. google.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      I can understand having IP restrictions on the implementation, but not for the interface. I thought that was settled in oracle vs. google.
      depends on whether they got someone to initially write the interface and they don't actually own the ipr.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        I concur with the poster above that nVidia should release documentation for their older cards that are at end of life so that we as a community can support ourselves by having an open driver so we can continue to use these cards
        This assumes such documentation exists and could quickly be released. I very much doubt that's the case. Which means they'd first need to go assembling various internal documents, sanitize them and then shape them into a form that can be released. Too much effort for EOL hardware, I don't see any incentive to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
          depends on whether they got someone to initially write the interface and they don't actually own the ipr.
          IANAL, but it seems pretty clear after the oracle case that nobody can own an interface. That may change if oracle gets its way, but currently interfaces are not protected by intellectual property law.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            This assumes such documentation exists and could quickly be released. I very much doubt that's the case. Which means they'd first need to go assembling various internal documents, sanitize them and then shape them into a form that can be released. Too much effort for EOL hardware, I don't see any incentive to do it.
            True, as all they need to do with such old documentation is to get it cleared by their legal department first, much in the same fashion AMD did with their docs. At minimum they should release the interface and programming docs (minus any 3rd party info)

However they should be able to release docs for their not quite so old cards (eg, GeForce 5,6,7)

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              IANAL, but it seems pretty clear after the oracle case that nobody can own an interface. That may change if oracle gets its way, but currently interfaces are not protected by intellectual property law.
              Interfaces can still, in principle, be patented. However, the Oracle ruling is arguably the last nail in the coffin of the idea that API/ABIs can be copyrighted under US law. Frankly I'm still kind of floored that anyone thought Oracle even had a chance on that claim. 17 USC 102(b) and Lotus v. Borland were pretty big hints.

Comment

It's getting chilly in hell

I would like to see hardware documentation for GeForce though.

Comment

Working...
                X