Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA To Publicly Release Some Documentation

Phoronix: NVIDIA To Publicly Release Some Documentation

NVIDIA will be releasing 2D (and potentially 3D) documentation concerning their ARM Tegra graphics core. "NVIDIA committed to open-source" even read one slide during a presentation at the annual X.Org Developers' Conference...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now, I have seen everything!

Comment

This is a nice start, but they're seriously putting an NDA on this guy? That's almost as much a dick move as intentionally not giving out any documentation at all. What's the point of letting something be open source if the guy needs to keep his work to himself? How does nvidia expect this 1 guy to get anything done? I'm sorry if I missed something and if I am speaking on ignorance, I just think an NDA is uncalled for.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
        Times look to be changing.
        I find it difficult to come to this conclusion from what you wrote.
        Only Tegra docs under NDA - and apparently largely incomplete - sounds not too promising.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          This is a nice start, but they're seriously putting an NDA on this guy? That's almost as much a dick move as intentionally not giving out any documentation at all. What's the point of letting something be open source if the guy needs to keep his work to himself? How does nvidia expect this 1 guy to get anything done? I'm sorry if I missed something and if I am speaking on ignorance, I just think an NDA is uncalled for.
          Remember, this is the same company that gave us the 'nv' DDX.
          Truly committed to open source I'd say.

Comment

Babysteps but at least its a start.

I was like "WOW desktop cards" but then i realized it was for tegra.

Anyway as i said its a start.

Comment

Microsoft is way more committed to Open Source than Nvidia, and this joke of a half ass attempt at PR shows just how much respect Nvidia as for us in the OSS community.

All I can say is Fuck You Nvidia!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Only Tegra docs under NDA - and apparently largely incomplete - sounds not too promising.
                Originally posted by entropy View Post
                From the article:
                ... the next version of the Tegra TRM (Technical Reference Manual) should provide the public with this (NDA-free) documentation covering the 2D engine.

NOTE: NDA-free.

He has previously been under NDA for Tegra documentation, but Nvidia is about to release some of it NDA-free. This is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  From the article:
                  ... the next version of the Tegra TRM (Technical Reference Manual) should provide the public with this (NDA-free) documentation covering the 2D engine.

NOTE: NDA-free.

He has previously been under NDA for Tegra documentation, but Nvidia is about to release some of it NDA-free. This is a good thing.
                  Sorry, that was obviously wrong.
                  I messed it up while editing that line. :/
                  I wanted to express my disappointment about the docs covering
                  Tegra only and only a rather tiny fraction of the chip capabilities.

I agree it is a good thing, in terms of "not a bad thing",
                  but it really doesn't sound too promising to me.
                  Why don't they release more complete docs?
                  And why do they refuse to do the same for the desktop asics?

Comment

they are not committed

I applied to be a developer on the Tegra zone three months ago. Never got a response, at all.

Then I searched on XDA and contacted a few people, and a couple nice guys provided me with the Tegra 2 TRM as well as the just released Tegra 3 TRM.

I can confirm there is no useful information on the 3D part at all, just a very high level description of the block. No description of registers, nothing.

Having the TRM is one thing, and it's nice to know the meaning of a few registers being used in the Tegra branch of the Linux kernel. However it is still very far from being open. Why doesn't Nvidia directly publish their TRM? There is exactly ZERO sensitive piece of information in it, it just describes how to interface with their SoC, and the juicy 3D part is not available.

Comment

Working...
                    X