Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE On Wayland Won't Happen Anytime Soon

Phoronix: KDE On Wayland Won't Happen Anytime Soon

Proper support for running the KDE desktop on Wayland still won't happen for a while...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's ok, Wayland is not exactly going to replace everything tomorrow anyway. Martin kicking ass as usual.

Comment

Unlike the geniuses at GNOME, Canonical and the Cinnamon project, KDE didn't make any of their software ? not even Plasma Desktop ? have a hard dependency on KWin. Early adopters could use Weston or whatever in the meantime.

Comment

i love the terms "a while" and long. they are essentially pulling a samba4 on us by being super vague on the timelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Unlike the geniuses at GNOME, Canonical and the Cinnamon project, KDE didn't make any of their software ? not even Plasma Desktop ? have a hard dependency on KWin. Early adopters could use Weston or whatever in the meantime.
          I don't believe any GNOME, Canonical or Cinnamon project has any sort of dependency on KWin .

Comment

Re

Martin will kick ass when Wayland will get in distributions, I am sure of that...
            Martin and Peter Penz are my favorite developers from the KDE team. Bad that Peter Penz left the Dolphin project
            I remember once reporting a bug on Dolphin and Peter Penz resolved it and pushed it to the master branch for the next release of KDE in ~40 minutes. Was a pleasure to report bugs

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              With a bit of luck this will serve as a wake up call that this wayland thing isn't really the rage it's cracked up to be by some people...
              Theres no "wakeup call" here. Wayland is going to do exactly what its supposed to do-- Get the server out of the way. Read the article. 2 Things blocked Martin's work:

1) Wayland protocol wasnt stable, which means any work he did may have been undone if the protocol changed before 1.0 (Personally I think I wouldve done the work anyway because most of it would have been valid and unchanged. I highly doubt they'd RADICALLY change the protocol in the 0.9.5 stage, but that was martin's choice and its an understandable one and a reasonable one.)

2) QT4-->QT5. All QT4 programs will continue to work under QT5 because instead of changing QWidgets (QT4) they moved all QT5 work to QWindow. (QT3 support was dropped i THINK, not positive) So Kwin could most likely sit on QT4 work until QT6 and everyone would be happy. But they wouldnt get any benefits of QT5. So The Kwin devs are devoting their support to QT5 because it will have a bigger impact in the immediate time-frame than Wayland. Once Kwin has been ported to QT5 I fully expect they will get back to work on the Wayland backend.

The ONLY mention of Wayland in there is that the protocol hasnt officially been finalized yet. You want to bash on Wayland, fine, but do it under an article that is REALLY about Wayland. This article is MORE about how QT work is blocking Wayland, the focus is QT.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I am not even going to say I TOLD YOU SOOOO. Not to mention just wait and see what happens when you have something like unity and your games all on the GPU. But chances are I am going to be labeld as a troll. The Kde devs don't listen, the Qt dev's don't listen and the end users don't listen thank god I write my own stuff.

Hence my Qt5 rant earlyer.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  I don't believe any GNOME, Canonical or Cinnamon project has any sort of dependency on KWin .
                  I see your smiley and I'm sure you understood but to clarify for others:
                  GNOME Shell is a plugin for Mutter. No other window manager can be used to run GNOME Shell.
                  Canonical?s Unity is a plugin for Compiz. No other window manager can be used to run Unity.
                  Cinnamon is a plugin for Muffin. No other window manager can be used to run Cinnamon.

OTOH:
                  KDE Plasma Workspaces make use of certain KWin features to look nicer (eg. blurred wallpaper behind the task bar) but KPW run just fine with any other WM. Just for fun I currently run Plasma Desktop with GNOME?s Mutter WM ? no blur effect behind the task bar but perfectly usable anyway.

Once Qt 5 ships for Wayland and every KDE application (except KWin) compiles against Qt 5 it all should run with Weston.

Comment

X as service on Wayland

Can't X run as a service on Wayland? That way you can use Wayland for other things that support it and still use KDE on Wayland through it's X support. Does that mean that finally we can run X rootless?

Comment

Working...
                    X