Bridgman Is No Longer "The AMD Open-Source Guy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    yes because of that it is not included by the default because today nobody uses mpeg2 anymore... yes there are always some special cases... but its retarded, and even if somebody uses that, the copression of that format is so bad that each retarded netbook can ecode that crap with 10-20% cpu load.
    . Perhaps more users should ask their respective distro's package managers to have them included, like I did -- that resulted in the state trackers being made available for openSUSE 12.2, but just not installed by default ... they are also available from factory and the xorg repos.

As for mpeg2 not being used any more or for its decode being a cakewalk, I explained in that original message "While MPEG2 decode support might seem rather pedestrian to some, it is beneficial to many others (Example: the ATSC digital TV system uses MPEG2 formatting for channels streams). In addition, users of hardware supported by the r300g and nouveau drivers would also be able to make use of the state trackers." ... plus the obvious benefit to low power but anaemic CPU or embedded devices which happen to have a decent GPU (and which may be supported by a respective OSS driver)

Comment

• The technical review states that HSA compatible GPUs will support context switching and preemption. I suppose there will be some sort of software scheduler. Or will it be handled completely by hardware?

Given the former case, are there already plans how to implement this in the linux kernel?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
        For whom is interested - there is a new document available covering HSA:

Heterogeneous System Architecture: A Technical Review (PDF)
        Thanks! I won't understand everything and due to my workload not read all of it, but I guess this will be an interesting read.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

• @Bridgman

Originally posted by olesalscheider View Post
          The technical review states that HSA compatible GPUs will support context switching and preemption. I suppose there will be some sort of software scheduler. Or will it be handled completely by hardware?

Given the former case, are there already plans how to implement this in the linux kernel?
          And more generally: what are the plans on the open-source side?
          Will the HSA capable hardware feature full documentation (apart from UVD)?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            could you estimate how much time you would need to invest to get gpu based aka shaderbased accelleration of x264 720p and 1080p accelleration.

for a guy who is able to programm in C but have no experince in kernel or x or driver development?

I would maybe try it if it would have any change of completion without working on it for 6 months full-time. And bridgeman did say its all there to get it running easy.

he never explizitly said easy but if that task would cost 100.000$ manpower-costs it would be a unneeded statement because then it would be clear to anybody that it will not happen ever, if amd does it not by them self.
            To do the basics, not long. To fully optimize the decoder, I'd budget a couple months full time. I worked 40+ hours/week during my masters thesis' programming phase (~4 months) and 3 months full-time on the WebM OpenCL decoder, and I managed to finish/optimize about ~1/2 of it.

Some of that time was spent learning OpenCL and video decode algorithms, but I'd still budget a bit of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              That is not 100% true, cause I've only looked into H264. I'm not deeply enough into webm to actually judge if it's possible to accelerate that efficiently with shaders. The big issue with H264 is it's CAVLC/CABAC coding of the input stream, which in turn is a complete linear process.

All the other stages are more or less doable with shaders, but because they are doable with shaders also mean they are doable with (for example) SSE. So you need to compare the optimal doable CPU based implementation with the overhead of moving all the data bitstream decoding produces GPU ram, setting up everything etc...

Christian.
              Thanks for the answer.

Veerapan who worked on webm might be able to give us some info.
              As Christian said, If you can run it in OpenCL, you can probably do it with SSE. The real question becomes if you can break the workload up into enough parallel threads to overcome the transfer latency over PCI-e and the kernel/shader start-up overhead.

WebM is similar to H.264 in many ways, and the detokenizing/decompressing of the input stream is a very serial process. Currently, the WebM decoder detokenizes/decompresses each Macroblock immediately before running the subpixel filtering/idct/dequant stages. There has been some work recently on frame-level multithreading, but nothing has landed yet.

The best bet for OpenCL+WebM might be to rewrite the input decompression to run for an entire frame at a time, and then splitting the rest of the processing stages into a separate piece. Someone has been working on this, and has been talking about it on the WebM Devel mailing list. If you can split the serial portion of detokenizing/decompressing off into a separate thread that is only responsible for decompressing the input stream a frame at a time, that could open up some possibilities for task-level parallelism (1 thread to decompress, 1+ to decode), as well as making the CL portion of frame reconstruction simpler.

Comment

• John Bridgman is no longer managing these efforts.

Last edited by Will00ard10; 15 October 2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• very well,thank you for your sharing

Last edited by Mi7ch3a2el; 20 October 2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X