Thread: XDC2012 Begins To Advance X.Org, Wayland, Mesa

Default XDC2012 Begins To Advance X.Org, Wayland, Mesa

Phoronix: XDC2012 Begins To Advance X.Org, Wayland, Mesa

The XDC2012 conference began today in Nürnberg where future improvements and other features for the X.Org Server, Wayland, Mesa, and other components are being discussed for the remainder of the week...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4ODA

@Michael

Sorry to ask again.
    Any news about the GPU "BookSprint" which took place over the last two days?
    I really want to see that great document to progress.
    Last edited by entropy; 09-19-2012 at 10:32 AM.

i am sure xorg could get a large number of donations from the user community if they asked (currently there is not even a donate button on the xorg website). especially if it was clear how it was being spent on speeding up development.

Does xorg need more money (inb4 who doesn't)?? I mean its at its dawn more or less and it has hackers payed by Red hat Intel etc when other project like mesa could use them more in a way.

xorg the foundation has a wider scope (and could perhaps sponsor) than just the xorg graphics server.

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    xorg the foundation has a wider scope (and could perhaps sponsor) than just the xorg graphics server.
    Correct, the X.Org Foundation sponsors events & student projects across the free software graphics stack, including Mesa, Wayland, graphics drivers, etc. If you look at the EVoC projects for instance, you'll see more have been at the Mesa layer than the X server itself.

Default Correction to main article

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: XDC2012 Begins To Advance X.Org, Wayland, Mesa

Alan Coopersmith of Oracle and X.Org Foundation board member mentioned, "my impression is that I won't be able to go to the well [Oracle] to get payments. Sun used to be a major contributor to the X.Org war-chest."

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4ODA
    That was Stuart Kreitman, the X.Org Treasurer, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by alanc View Post
    That was Stuart Kreitman, the X.Org Treasurer, not me.
    Whoops, fixed, sorry about that.... What happens when writing more notes later on while tired.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Any news about the GPU "BookSprint" which took place over the last two days?
    I really want to see that great document to progress.
    There were a few minutes discussion on that which should be in the video. The driver document was fleshed out in a number of areas, the text needs to be integrated & the document formatted - hopefully that won't take too long. The general X stack developer's guide from the prior book sprint also progressed to the point there's now a EPUB being tested on ebook readers and which should be posted shortly.